do the motor have to be pulled out to install the torque converter on a 2002 taurus?

5

Asked by May 24, 2014 at 12:35 PM about the 2002 Ford Taurus SES

116,015

Probably so. Or would at least be easier to do that way. You have to get separation between the motor and transmission in order to get it out. Not much room to work with on cars these days.

26,075

Pulling the Trans or the motor is a lot of work in the driveway. Pulling the motor would be easiest (in my opinion).

17,065

I know- I do it too sometimes- but shouldn't we all say ENGINE, or am I too picky? Listen to dandyoun and Tracy and heed what Tracy is implying- for example - do you have access to an engine hoist for starters.

17,065

To Tracy , I wish we were able to debated the old fogy approach vs the newbie approach face to face. You have probably never had to keep a car on the road using STP,bananas and baling wire. It just boils me over that, strictly due to government regs ,an average guy eking out a living and trying to get back and forth to work is straddled with expensive fixes, CAFE and sensors and PCMs are all mandated for environmental concerns (which is important) but people are important too. I guess I just remember back 55 years ago when I was broke and needed a car and how I could keep one on the road without scans and codes . If you are interested you might research OBD regs and their history- it's all to measure data that might affect emissions.

26,075

You're right! I am a College Educated Master Certified Technician that never had an interest in patching things. Not because I think it's beneath me but because in the Flat-Rate world, time is money and repeat repairs don't make money. I also came from a Ford Dealer in a smaller community so I often experienced not only the entire life- cycle of countless vehicles, but was familiar with their drivers and their children. These days, I am one of 12 County Techs that repair and maintain a fleet of over 800 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptors with and additional 300+ Sheriff's Department support vehicles - from Bomb Squad trucks to Armored Personnel Carriers to Snowmobiles. You're right - I don't patch stuff - I don't know how - don't want to know. My efforts are in Safety, Reliability and Performance. Besides, I'd make a lousy cop.

17,065

Tracy- I am a University educated Accountant and I love to fix stuff. Luckily there is nothing Flat-Rate about my hourly fee.I found this site by accident when I was unable to find a mechanic that had even the slightest clue about the vacuum modulator on my Caddy. I just like to try to help out do it your- selfers that are probably forced to d.i.y. due to financial reasons vs love of getting greasy and fixing stuff.

17,065

I worked as a kid repairing bicycles at a sporting goods store,then guns and rifles, then onto a motorcycle shop, then after graduation to Ford where I started in Data Processing ( that's when an I.B.M. 20 was the size of a house[slight exaggeration]),systems analysis,controller's office,Dearborn,private practice. Never got the grease out of my blood and never forgot what it is like not to have cash.[ that's why I do work for lower income people gratis and that's why I am on this site]