Why won't my window go up or down on my 93 thunderbird?

385

Asked by Feb 02, 2012 at 01:54 PM about the 1993 Ford Thunderbird LX

Hi again. My passenger side window won't go up or down any more the motor works But when I remove the motor it works fine. But when I put the motor back on, the window goes no where. I think its the motor its self may be giving out its the oreginal motor and I replaced the driver side motor a year ago. Please help its starting to get hot!!

1,485

Could be a fuse also.

35

did you replace the plastic gear with the three little round things in it? cant thing of the name of those just had a brain fart but that fixed my problem on both sides

90

have you checked the window switch? the contacts inside the switch get arc and black burn marks from repeated use. they can be taken apart and cleaned up but just be careful not to loose the small parts

385

Well guys it's not the fuse or the switch cause motor works when I take it out but when I put it back the window goes no where. Could it be the Regulator?

35

I believe it's the motor while you have the motor out hold the gear with a pair of pliers. And try to work the motor and see If the gear moves or not If it's working properly the motor should twist the gear pretty strongly...If not it's got bad internals and needs fixed/replaced

385

Ok I'll try that. Now if it's not that then could it be the regulator?

85

check this website. it tells you how it works and also includes a pic. http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-window2.htm

10

I would like to know if you found the reasoning to your problem. I am also having the same problem and my gear is metal, so I know its not broken. Did you have to replace the motor?

7,405

To bjohnson82, This problem is a-typical ford Ford vehicles since the 1960's. Ford basically used the same power window motor for years and the same motor in all of their vehicles. Change out the motor, especially if it's the passenger side which doesn't get used as much as the driver's side. They get corroded inside from not being used and from water seeping in when it rains and also from humidity in the air. The motor armature doesn't make a good contact and the motor just doesn't have the power it once had. Change the motor (about $50 each at Advance autoparts store) and your problems will be solved.

40

I have same issue. Went n got new motor but still doesn't go up. .it goes down but not up. I can't see how/why the regulator won't allow it to go up :(

40

Checked fuse and checked the wires on all ends to make sure there is constant contact

Also, check the wiring running to the door. Every time the door gets opened and closed, all the wires get bent (20+ years) and eventually break. carefully cut the tape surrounding the bundle of wires. You may notice a sharp bend inside the insulation, strip 3/8" of insulation off and re connect with a small wire nut. I have found breaks on several wires over the years in my older vehicles, even my old van at work.

30

My girlfriend has a 95 thunderbird. The passenger window stop working a couple of weeks ago, now the driver side stop working. I'm looking for the fuse box, but the only one I can find is under the hood.

130

It is the window motor gear. I have a 96 Bird and just had mine redone. Put ball bearings in the window gear and everything will be fine.

Could be your battery.. Mine did the same thing.. I bought a new battery and it worked like new

10

I have this problem it is not the motor it is not the gear it is not the switch it is not the fuse something mechanical is binding up the regulator or the slide. I still haven't figured out what it is