why my steering wheel won't lock when my truck is in park

Asked by Oct 05, 2013 at 01:30 AM about the 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD

10\4\2013 I had rear rotors, break pads front and rear, and brake line flush service on my truck and when I drove home my steering wheel started shaking out of control so I went back to the place of service and was told my tires needed to be balance and the problem was solved but when I got home and parked my truck and took the key out of my ignition I could not lock my steering wheel and as I turned my steering wheel to lock it, it continue to keep turning to the left or to the right. The steering wheel never locked so I went back to the place of service and was told in so many words that this was a new problem and my problem with my steering wheel had no bearings on the service I received nor on the problems I had once I left the auto repair shop

27,665

Correct: If that is the work they performed it should have no bearing on your steering wheel lock. They are completely independent from one another.

113,935

Personally I hate steering wheel locks, they were supposed to be a theft deterrent but that lasted about 2 minutes, now I see no practical application for them.

23,115

all brake jobs require a proper break in, or should be done and 99% just replace parts. a few hard stops after a few soft stops on the new brakes. also inspection of the movement to correct a binding caliber that may have been the reason you had service in the first place! obviously no road test was done or the shaking wheel would have been noticed as a misfit of a wheel or loss of a large balancing weight was in play.the steering lock may be a sticking return pin at the steering wheel ,bump on the column while moving steering wheel, to free pin. may need spray lube. a different problem and often caused by a different driver but that easily happens when a component is about act up anyway

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thanks 7jimmy7 for your input and I will follow up on your suggestion and take care of the problem I'm having. I really like this sight and I have to make sure that I tell all of my friends about this web site. I find this site to be very informative, especially for females. Again Thanks!!!

40

Just took my 2013 Ford F-150 to the dealer because the steering wheel didn't lock. Dealer told me Ford stopped adding this to their vehicles in 2011.

40

where would you put the lube into the steering column? I have the same problem with my grand am, but it was non-op for about 3 years before I had it running again and noticed this because i cannot program my remote key fobs without the steering wheel locked. Any suggestions? Otherwise security system and keys work fine. Did have to replace airbags and did not get the module reset yet.

I just replaced my upper control arm and lower ball joint. In the process I had to beat my tire off with a 4lb hammer. Then the rotor had to be beaten off too. During all the beating off I think I damaged the steering wheel lock. It takes a lot of force on the steering components. I would bet that is what happened to your vehicle. I have read that they discontinued them on some vehicles but mine worked prior. 2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LS.