Turning right u-turn a scrapping noise.

60

Asked by Jan 10, 2014 at 02:30 PM about the 2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

Ford Expedition 2006 eddie bauer  4x2.Turning steering wheel to complete right to take a u turn and then when car starts to move it makes a scrapping noise from right wheel side. no noises when driving straight or taking left u turn or turning regular turns to right. sound goes away after 5 seconds if I let car go round and round by turning fully right. iv checked dust shield its clear, tyre isn't hitting anywhere. jacked up the car turned steering to right and spinned wheel by hand , no noises on either wheels, turned wheels by hand and both move simultaneously, no delay in movements they move together.

tighten the lugnuts on that wheel~

60

Lug nuts are tightened, caliper is fine, pads alright, steering fluid ok.

so....what do YOU think?...work bearing?....has this got the "truck suspension" an I-beam with king pins at the ends of the wishbone with macpherson struts?

how's the steering dampener doin' (if equipped)~?

60

?? what do you mean ?

...well back in the olde days the worm-and-sector steerings would set up oscillations and rip the wheel out of your hands...Jeeps did this and the famous AMC gremlin does this too...a steering dampener if equipped will stop this....if you've got the 4x4 suspension has the king-pins and old style stuff...used on trucks~...but seeing as it's 2wd you've got the twin wishbones and macpherson strut combo~ perhaps a shock bushing has crumbled...that'd rattle and give poor performance~

it's infamously called the "death wobble"...thanx god that you ain't got this configuration....nothin' but trouble with these old king-pin front ends...the steering delay from a worn front end would have a driver desperately trying to control the vehicle as it swam left, then right then left each time forcing you to over-compensate for the worn condition~

You've got just "regular stuff" might be inclined to go with performance accessories from summitracing.com which has loads of everything performance~

I meant worn bearing...what the hell would "work bearing" be? it don't make no sense~

60

i don't have a steering suspension strut , all I have is regular coils and struts those are car suspension. its a 4x2 so theres no cv joints, if wishbone means control arm then yea its got two of them the upper and lower. besides that theres the tie rods which seem alright to me. bearing must noise every time on left right straight , but this noise is only for about 5 seconds taking a full round n then its gone no matter how u try it doesn't come back. what do you think would this be due to some steering box issue ? car ride is ok. its 80000miles driven so it never was like a new cars steering but I know what ' death wobble ' is like , and its not that feeling I have In my car.

I'd look at decomposed rubber....bushings...etc~

2,215

no half shaft just see you said 2wd so check the rest sounds like a bal joint.. hope this helps

jimtuttle...were you put out here like a hyena to take chomps out of my ass then start laughing....well you, my pleasant associate are the only one laughing...Go ahead and answer EVERY question to the best of your ability cross-referencing and diggin' deep onto various sources to come up with the best answer...and put a link and picture up there so they know what in the hell you're talking about....nay, my ego-mad captain....every point in my reputation is there from workin' my ass off to provide the best stuff to all my good people out there~ btw...management has been alerted of your transgressions...YOU DON"T ATTACK...this is poor form for a gentleman such as yourself?~

2,215

cmon judge cats out the bag.... your a points pusher! just answer this 1 question... How many user names do you have for this web site? honor your names judge...lol

60

lets be friendly , please :). thank you. as for the joints and bushings they seem ok to me. the ball joints I mean and the tie rod bushing which has grease in it. I have a question, does the steering box ( rack and pinion ) have grease in it or oil ? I noticed some oily area on the metal pipe lining going into steering box, everything else is dry. steering pump sounds ok and it steers well and returns well.

60

how can I figure out the ball joint has play or is it ok, I jack up and then ? by the way this expy hasn't a ball joint just, its the whole control arm which would need replacement if ball joint is a problem.

NO...just replace them...they're comparatively cheap because they are a wear item....you'll be happy with renewed control over your car then~

https://www.google.com/#q=2006+ford+expedition+ball+joints&tbm=shop

the tie rod ends are what control your steering...not so much the amount of "slump" in the suspension~ https://www.google.com/#q=2006+ford+expedition+tie+rod+ends&tbm=shop

pry at them with a prybar and see how easily they move~

60

bro so what you mean is I replace both sides control arms and tie rods ? for left and right wheel both ? is it an easy to do thing ?

2,215

would replace as needed..check them first... jack the truck up on the A Arm where the lower ball joint sits and jack it up then try to move wheel like from top to bottom or pry from under the tire up and have someone look at the ball joint for play then same to other side.. hope this helps p.s.ball joint up and down to check and tie rods are left to right to check look for play should be tight!

5,075

Just a thought but you didn't say what size tires you have on the front. Are they the original size or have you or a previous owner put oversize tires on it. If they are oversize, it is more than possible that one could rub when making a full turn of the steering wheel.

60

Ford expedition 2006 by manual has 265/70/17, I had those and the sound used to come on right full U-turn , I put 285/65/17 right now last week and the sound still appears on full right U-turn. so its not due to wider tyres. ive carefully inspected it already.

60

I am thankful to you guys for your answers, I too am trying to find the cause, I have also been trying to check those joints and control arms , I will keep you updated, so that another time and at another day someone else is able to get some help from this post.

2,215

I will say the bigger the tire the harder it is on the front end... ball joints ect.. good luck and take care

Did anyone ever figure out what the sound was on this issue. I have the same problem. Even replacing the ball joints didn't solve my problem.

5,075

I know you said you tried to turn the tire by hand and heard nothing. There is a difference when the weight of the car is on the suspension and when you jack it up. Another possibility is the tire is rubbing on the inside wheel well. Now that you have wider tires you may find it more prevalent. If you turn the wheel all the way out (right or left) you may even see a shiny spot on the inside fender. I am talking the inside next to the engine. It is also possible that if the springs are week that it could be scraping on the outside upper fender. If possible, remove the tire completely and get a good light and look for wear spots. That would be the easy way.