1998, Turning the key will not always start the car

25

Asked by Jun 05, 2008 at 10:12 AM about the 1998 Ford Contour SVT 4 Dr STD Sedan

Sometime when I turn the key I get no respond

14,665

I would try replacing the ignition switch (key tumbler) first. If that doesn't work then you may have an electrical issue with the vehicle.

I had a Mondeo(English for Contour I think) and the starter solenoid,which is mounted on the starter motor went wrong a couple of times in 300,000 plus miles.Mine was a turbo diesel and the motor was easy enought to get off.Once you remove it find a good auto electrician and he'll sort it .Nice cheapish repair

45

When you say "no response" do you mean absolutely nothing or does it try to turn over. If you get nothing check your clutch switch, try jumping the wire connection with a wire and see if the problem goes away. If it doesn't then you may want to start looking at wiring as well as your starter.

30

I started having a problem today. Without warning, the key wouldn't turn, I had to jiggle it, pull on the steering wheel, the engine starts fine once the key turns that far...its like it doesn't fit anymore, but I got out my spare, which is basically brand new, and it did the same thing. Do I have to replace the ignition and end up with TWO keys, one to open the doors and the new one to start the ignition? Please help! :) Sandy