Tracker won't fire, any suggestions?

Asked by Oct 21, 2012 at 02:11 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Tracker Base 4WD

After pulling the driveshaft to replace u-joints, I have no fire.  Fuel pump engages, gets fuel (plugs are wet), starter cranks, but we are getting no fire.  Just got back in from replacing the sparkplugs as they were toast and it still won't fire.  Any suggestions?

Vehicle info: 2000 Chevy Tracker 2.0L 4WD

Michael Pope

Check for spark at the plug wire. Start here for no fire. But, before doing anything try to reset your ECU by pulling the Pos side of the battery off, then reconnect and attempt to start. Make sure you let your car run through its checks before cranking. (turn key to on position and wait about 30 sec)

Did as you suggested Michael and the plug has a very small spark. Not enough to fire. Would a bad cam sensor be behind this?

Cam sensor controls the fuel the crank sensor controls spark but if you're getting spark then its not the crank sensor. If you remove the wires from the coils then there should be a good spark between the nipples on the coils if one of the coils isn't sparking then switch the coils around and see if the issue follows the coil. If it does replace the coil if it doesn't then take it to a shop and have it properly diagnosed. In that case it could be a lot of things.

Michael Pope

First thing you want to do is replace the plug wire with one from another cylinder and see if it has the same performance. If so then simply look under the hood in the dark and look for a short. Then replace the coil pack ( ?prodSlot=Product+Listings+Page%3A1 ) Best of luck ... let me know how it turns out.

getting fire to the plugs and getting gas but no conbusting

have replace plus and wires have pulled cable and it still wont start it isn't getting any con busgetion what do you think is. some one said that it is the timeing time but not sure

Rocky Stalcup

2002 tracker won't crank over...the engine won't turn....any suggestions?