what would cause my 1993 Explorer to just stop running and shut down while driving but all the electrics work

65

Asked by Jan 05, 2014 at 09:29 PM about the 1993 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

was driving then the SUV felt funny and I noticed I'm not running just coasting.
pulled over and a gentleman told me he didn't think the fuel was making it to the
engine

75

have you checked your gas level? if it's empty that will do it. is the fuel pump working? that could be many things, fuse, relay, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, computer. do you have spark?? it's not a simple answer, when not looking at the vehicle.... good luck!

19,635

On these you have an inertia switch that kicks the fuel pump off if in an accident. Right kick panel at your right foot on passenger side. Make sure it is pushed down. Also check the small ground at the battery for broken, corroded wire. This is the PCM ground.

65

I wasn't in any accident but I didn't pass smog because the check engine llight didn't come on when turning on the engine and it did feel like it was pushing trying to run like something was pushing back while trying to go forward if this makes sense like it was struggling against the wind is the best way to describe it

19,635

Sometimes the inertia switch will trip themselves without being in an accident. Did you check the grounds at the battery?

19,635

If you think it is fuel related have someone get under it with a rubber hammer and smack on the gas tank in the center. This will usually jar the fuel pump and make it run temporarily. Pump will need replaced if it starts.

65

well folks I really feel stupid it WAS out of gas sheesh I thought I put gas in it . I did find out that the fuel gage is broken and the man that stopped to help me helped me fix some other things I was trying to fix on the steering column. I have recently learned that my drivers door doesn't close properly so it leaves the interior lights on which was killing the battery. I still don't know how to fix the check engine light it is not the light bulb I don't understand why it is even important for a smog check I mean it passed everything else so could someone tell me why it is even on the smog check because I think it has nothing to do with smogging a vehicle???????