Anti-lock

Asked by Apr 30, 2011 at 09:09 PM about the 1993 Ford Bronco STD 4WD

Can you change anti-lock brake system to conventional type brakes???

yes; If you locate and unplug the anti-lock brake control module, the system will default into a conventional brake system. The abs light will stay on, but assuming that the service brake system is up to par, the vehicle will stop normally.;I like abs, but that particular system was not very good .the abs light can be disabled;use your imagination.

Thanks Bill for the info....One of my lines is leaking from the HCU...Do I have to fix the line or can I just by-pass the HCU completely by re-lining it somehow or does the fluid still need to be going through the HCU ?

yes you can change it over,but it takes more than just unpluging a switch,if it is leaking fluid in 1 line just fix the line,uou can get new line at any parts store,they can show you how to cut into it and fix the leak,is not a hard job.nor expensive.

you absolutely MUST correct any leakage in the hydraulics;if you do that,at the very least you will have a reliable basic brake system;remember; the abs is an electronic upgrade to what is a very simple,straightfoward brake system.dont be intimidated by the electronics;fix the obvious faults first, then see what you've got most brake system faults turn out to be boringly simple, and ford has always had damn good brakes. let me know how you make out hope i can help you. dont bypass hcu it is more aggravation than just fixing it. why reinvent the wheel?just fix it, buddy!

My problem is not fixing the the line it is the bleeding part...It is stated in the manual that a anti-lock Bleeder Box/ jumper cable are needed to bleed the HCU,,, ONLY if that the HCU has been replaced...Does that also mean that if a line has been leaking from the HCU.. that it also need these tools... or after fixing the line I can just bleed the system in the conventional manner??? Thanks Again for your input.... Spanman

right,bleed as usual.