why does my car still blow cold air after changing the thermostat?

Asked by Oct 14, 2012 at 05:11 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS

my car started blowing cold air when I took the radiator cap off the flued was thick brown sluge. so i flushed it twice and put a new thermosta in it but it still blows colair.

The cooling system in these cars must be bled. That is all the air removed after the cooling system is serviced. Set the heating controls to full heat & open the bleeder screw, which is probably located at or near the thermostat housing until coolant flows smoothly out. Leave the screw open for an additional 10 seconds & you should be all set. HTH. -Jim

You probably flushed it in the wrong direction and clogged it up even worse.

does the engine temperature get to normal, or very close to it...if you ask me, even a clog in a cooling system means the engine runs hotter, not producing cool air, however there are other more common things causing this...one would be to flush the HEATER CORE, not radiator, but still not likely, rather an actuator door, motor in the dash is malfunctioning, gm also had issues with the physical dial/button on the console going bad that controls temp....message me if i can help further

A clogged heater core won't cause any noticeable change on the gauge.Check the hoses going to the heater core, they should be close to the same temp as the engine if both of them are cool to the touch then there is a clog

This is a problem with 3.4 and 3.5 engines.All above can be problems. Most likely go for easy one first. When this cars run low at the filler tank they suck in air and cause air pockets. Try bleeding air out at thermostat bleeder.. let it run for about 30 seconds till it runs constant at bleeder then give it a try. Still may need flushed. I use plain old Prestone yellow. Same stuff just cheaper. All same ingredients as the GM. Flush till clear and you won't have a problem. These cars are a pain in the ass to work on. P.S. DON'T BUY THE 50/50 CRAP. IT IS NOT 50/50!!!!! Go pure then mix your own 50/50 with DI water, i.e. ironing water. Has no iron or metal contaminants. hope that was some help. good luck

just changed my thermostat after my 2002 monte carlo ls would get very hot. now my motor is good but my heat for the cab is very low unless i rev it up then it gets good and hot..thank you for this post now i am going to bleed off the air i had no clue i needed to do this!!

put in new thermostat, worked one day, now antifreeze is not staying in jug, don't know where it is going, blowing cold air again

Have a 98 monte carlo having problems with heat. The heater is blowing out nothing, but cold air. My tempature gage will sometime hit 260 and cause my heat light to come on. Please can you help with this problem.?