Monte Carlo 2001 Over heating -coolant levels are fine

40

Asked by May 14, 2012 at 01:26 PM about the 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS

Ok, on the way to work, (freeway) my car waning board started flashing red, saying the high temps, i looked at the temp gauge, and it was at the top- red zone. i pulled over, and turned the engine off. Might also want to tell you that my car has been saying low coolant levels for a few years, and there is plenty in the reserve. (I thought it was a faulty sensor) so when i pulled over, i checked the coolant reserve, and there is planty of coolant in there, and did not open the coolant cap as the car was still very hot! so, i left my car there, and am going to attempt to pick it up after work, so i can at least get it back home to my drive way. Any ideas as to what this could be?

595

I think you have 1 of 2 problems 1 restricted flow 2 bad thermostat

40

Thank you for your response! i really hope it is one of those two things. The only thing is, When i pulled over, i opened the hood, let it cool, and i had to get my car to a safe place to leave it till after work, so when i turned it back on, it had dropped to half way mark on the temp gauge. I drove it about 4 or 5 blocks, and it was back in the red again. So, if it is the Thermostat, then this would happen? so, restricted flow would be a clogged hose, or maybe something with the radiator? I want to have a few ideas for when i call a friend to fix it.

15

Chances are its your thermostat another possablites could be a bad radiator hose or water pump

10

My questions are.my car was running hot replace the water and got the radiator flush. But befor smoking really bad from were the theremastat it was probably steam. And my temp gage stop working.and there isn't any pressure going to the hoses they stay soft for a long time.so what can actually help me to fix the smoking problem no longer running hot couse radiator was flush and a coolant was done sensor.is not running hot right now still has a lil smoke problem no leaks.fans are working. I need help with fixing the problem for circulation to from tge reseve coolant and to the radiator and thermastat.i need everything to work together. build up pressure Spending out alit of money that I dont have to.thnx.