Wat does low oil pressure mean

Asked by Dec 04, 2012 at 03:44 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS

315

Low oil preesure means that your probly getting low on oil. Check the engine oil only when the oil is cold for an accurate reading. I bet if you add some oil it will probly fix your problem

34,295

Low oil pressure does not mean low oil. Low oil pressure means the oil pressure is low and any number of things could be the problem. Most likely would be the oil pressure sensor is bad, next likely would be the oil pump is bad, or if the oil is that low to where it's not getting enough oil its because of 1 of 2 reasons 1. You're not doing the regular oil changes every 3000 miles or your engine is shot. No engine should ever burn through 3 quarts of oil in less than 3000 miles unless it's the Chrysler/Dodge 3.5 v6. Then its normal to add 3+ quarts between oil changes.

7,405

several possibilities.. 1. bad sensor 2. sludge in the oil intake 3. bad oil pump 4. engine oil pan has a severe leak(obvious) ..on an old 80 Grand prix, i had a a cooling system failure and the engine got heated. the oil broke down and clogged the oil intake. cleaned it & oil pan sludge, put it back together and it restored oil pressure. my 3.8L used only 1 quart in 3k miles at the most. it is a good idea to oil the new filter with some fresh oil before installing to help the oil pump keep lubed. hope all is well with your chevy.

34,295

Are you asking if you should shut the engine off or are you saying the safety feature that shuts the engine off during low oil pressure conditions is working?

170

Wat do I do it only has 79k miles

34,295

Yes if your oil leak is bad enough that most of your oil has leaked out. Oil isn't just for lubrication purposes, it also helps to keep the engine cool, an engine could run off about 2 quarts of oil but it would break down the oil significantly faster than usual and the bottom end would run warmer, which is not good. It would have to be a pretty severe oil leak to trip the oil pressure light, like you wouldn't make it a block without losing all your oil bad.

170

My 06 Monte Carlo LTZ say low oil pressure shut engine off

34,295

Option 1. Remove sensor and hook up a gauge. Option 2. Replace the sensor. Option 3. Remove the valve cover and see if you are getting a good amount of oil in the heads. Option 4. Rebuild the engine.

50

Could this warning be caused by an oil leak?

260

Had oil change. 10 minutes later change oil light, low oil pressure light ( stop engine) and red oil can symbol lit up one after another. Accompanying these warnings is a constant warning chime, beep, bell that is continuous two out of every three minutes. In the shop twice in two weeks ; No help. 2007 Chevy Silverado , 187,000 miles. I would love any advice I could get. Thank you John F.

260

Also I do have a small oil leak.

10

Had leak. Got oil pan & gasket chg. Motor mounts chg, oil chg and still saying low oil pressure. Jus spent $500 what else could possibly be bad. HELP

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS that turned 162 grand on 3/23! I started having clicking noises on cold startup shortly after that it progressively got worse until yesterday! When I had it checked I was told bearings were badly worn and engine needed replacement! CEL came on with p0303 code! Since 6-7 grand is too much I opted to have it replaced with a salvage engine for $1,000!