Cooling Issue...

155

Asked by Oct 12, 2009 at 11:23 AM about the 1994 Ford Probe GT

Just recently my car has been having cooling issues. I've got a 1994 Probe GT. I found a leak in the upper radiator hose and replaced it. It didn't stop the problem. When the car is warm the thermostat gauge goes all the way to the High position when stationary. When the car is in motion the gauge goes back down to the Normal position. The engine is hot and so is the upper radiator hose, but the lower radiator hose is cold. I'm figuring it means the coolant is either being stopped just before the radiator or is being stopped just before the lower radiator hose. Would spraying out the radiator grill help "open" it up or would I need a new radiator?

75

you can get a radiator/engine flush kit that taps into your cooling hoses. it's pretty crude, but it cleaned mine out and now my driveway's cleaner than ever. But it might be worth checking the water pump weep hole just to be safe

25

do this simple test. When the car is stationary and the gauge pegs hot, turn the heat on inside the car on full blast. If the heat gauge goes back down when you do this, you probably need a new thermostat. It happened to me too.

155

Thanks guys! I'll give both of those a shot! I'll post the results as soon as I have them completed.