Every time i turn the steering wheel it makes noises and i have power steering fluid up to the max line. what can i do to help make the noise stop?

10

Asked by Feb 22, 2007 at 01:47 PM about the 1994 Ford Mustang STD Coupe

I can turn the steering wheel left and right and it just started making this awful noise and i checked the power steering fluid and its full. It may be the power steering belt is loose but i didn't think the car would run if it was. But its still easy to turn the wheel around corners.

22,320

Hi gritsgetrdone! Ya, I have to agree that it's either your belt or the power steering pump itself. There's no gain in waiting to get it diagnosed and fixed. Problems in this system can cascade, so seek professional help soon. Good luck!

Best Answer
235

I have found that all my FORD's since 1972 have had a little P/S whine until they get warmed up, so if it still occurs after you break the bank remember its just a FORD thing. The guy I bought my Lincoln off of tried twice and broke the bank and it whines till it is warm to this day.

2,905

i have 2 fords and no such whine from either. possible belt problem, serpentine belt is easy to change and rather inexpensive, change it before doing anything else, power steering pump either works or leaks, so if it isnt leaking its working, change belts

Mustangs are notorious for steering squeaking noises. If it's old enough it might be time to replace the pump.. costly, but if you're also getting some fluid on the ground them it's a good bet the rack needs to go too.. Plan on 400.00 to 500.00 for pump, rack and labor.