Is it possible to change power convertible top to manual in 1994 Mustang?

Asked by Feb 07, 2015 at 02:10 PM about the 1994 Ford Mustang STD Convertible

I recently bought a 1994 convertible Ford Mustang and was wondering if it is possible
to change the power top in the convertible into a manual top. One (maybe both) of the
cylinders have a problem, and I'm not sure if it is simply a leaking hose or a problem
with the actual cylinder. I would rather not spend $100-200 or more to fix it if I can help
it, and I'd actually prefer a manual top (since the car has to be completely stopped with
the parking break engaged anyway). So is this possible? And how much labor would
be involved compared to replacing the cylinders?

The "Power" part of the top on my 66 is only the motor and I'm sure it is on your 94. The cylinders assist the top in going up. If you disconnected the motor, you can operate the top manually. But it sounds like your problem is not in the motor, but with leaking cylinders. You first need to find the source of the leak. Check the hose to make sure it is not leaking, then the connections and make sure they are not leaking. (don't forget the fitting on the motor.) This is a very easy process. If the hose is leaking - replace it. If the fittings are leaking, unscrew then carefully put some Teflon tape on the threads and put them back in - snug them - do not over tighten them. If the Cylinder is the problem - I'd first check a local salvage yard, then a mustang parts catalog, and then ebay. They are not all that expensive, and even a novice could remove and replace the entire hydraulic system in a couple of hours.

Best Answer

You car has to be completely stopped so you cannot open your top while the car is moving. This is a safety feature so you don't try to open it and lose you top while traveling down the highway. Then blow your top at such a crazy mistake.

Best Answer

Disconnecting the motor will not make your top a manual top. You will still be forcing the hydraulic fluid through the lines, pistons and the motor. That makes for a very tough up and down and may break parts. However it is very simple to accomplish your goal. Behind both the right and left rear side windows, there ia a piston that operates the top. There is a rod protruding from the piston that is bolted to the frame. Disconnect both rods and push them back into the piston. Voila, you have a manual top.