car won't go over 30mph

35

Asked by Oct 20, 2007 at 02:05 PM about the 2006 Toyota Corolla CE

this morning i decided to go the the bank and then get gas right next door. after i got done filling up my gas tank and i started my car to drive away it stuttered and then stalled. this happened for about an hour. then i got it to start just long enough to pull away from the pump but right before i could exit the parking lot it stalled again. i thought it might be the battery so i got a roommate to come and jump my car but it didn't help. and then we thought it might be bad gas so i got some fuel stuff in a red bottle from the same gas station and waited for a little bit. but it still wouldn't start. so we jumped it one more time and started it and he did something in the car.

i was then able to drive it away from the gas station and get home which was 4 blocks away. but the whole time i was driving home i couldn't accellerate. well i could. it jumbed everytime it shifted gears and i couldn't go above 30mph. what's wrong with my car?

how was car running befor ,you could have bad gas and also what did your friend do insidecar.if your car was runing ok befor let the station know and make them pay to have it drained out.my state u can.

43,895

You may have gotten bad gas as papa suggested, or you may have had a situation of bad timing, where a sensor or some other problem has failed, unrelated to your fueling up. Have this checked by a competent mechanic.

645

Is this car fairly new 2006? I would not think the cat converters to become clogged this early?

1,285

Possibly , if the car has been running fine up to the fill up , you might have had some bad gas put in , or the wrong type of fuel ( E-85 , diesel ) Did it set a trouble light ?? ( service light ) on the dash ?? If it set a trouble code , you will get an amber light on the dash ( service engine soon , or similar to that ) the vehicle will need to be taken into a good repair shop for proper diagnosis . If it is a gas problem , have the repair shop retain a sample of gas for you , have it tested , and contact the gas station to alert them of the problem , and to get them to compensate you .