My car dies out when at a stop or idle. Should I get mechanic to check the inline fuel injector first or idle air control valve?

30

Asked by Mar 13, 2012 at 09:56 PM about the 1994 Ford Escort 2 Dr LX Hatchback

110

if dont know anything about cars then yeah u better get a mechanic.

30

Any idea approximate costs for inline fuel injector or valve?

195

It's not a fuel problem. It will be an air problem. Yes your are probably right the IAC motor is causing the problem. It controls the amount of air entering the intake when the throttle valve (gas pedal) is closed. If the IAC is dirty or not working probably its like the engine is being choked of air. So in a sense the engine can't breathe and dies. Also check the air filter, air filter housing, and air intake tube for holes, cracks etc... But you should bring to mechanic and let them take a look. I can almost guarentee that is the problem. A fuel problem would be more noticeable under load or take off from a stand still. You would have lack of power. But most likely not stall. I am a Licensed Service Techinican

60

Ours did this n we tryed everything. Fuel pump;sensors cut off convertor then found the problem it was a bad. Crank sensor.it was hard to find but a cheep part n now running great again.hope this helps

21,775

My 93 and my 95 both had IAC concerns coupled with a very dirty Throttle Body. It is an airflow/air metering concern. See if a shop will look at it and perhaps include the repair labor with the diagnostics. Some shops will help you out like that.