Constant shake/ vibration in front end

10

Asked by Jun 13, 2017 at 08:59 AM about the 2006 Toyota Camry LE

This is what I've got done to try to fix the problem, rotated
tires, got front tires rebalanced, checked for bulging in
tires (techs found none). I'm beginning to think it's a wheel
bearing or cv boot because it's started to make a highish
pitched hum with every vibration. Vibration increases with
increase in speed. Any  ideas?

4,420

At what speed do you begin to hear....feel...this vibration? What gear are you in? When the vibration is as its worst...carefully place the transmission into neutral without stepping on the break pedal.

10

The vibration is at any speed starts from when I start rolling ends when I stop gets worse as you accelerate and the noise is the same just gets higher pitched and more rapid and I will do that today after work and i was gonna try switching my front right tire with the back right and see if I feel it in the back because the tech said the rim might be bent but he wasn't 100% sure

120,355

If you think the wheels are bent have your mechanic check them for runout.

10

He said there is some cupping on the tire but not enough to do what I am explaining and I'm not sure if it's bent was just gonna test that out because in theory I'd feel it more in back after swap if that was the problem

10

Rotated front right tire to the Right rear and right rear to the front will give update if any change tomorrow.

10

Put car in neutral while driving 40 mph didn't change anything

120,355

Cupping is a sign of problems. Once you find what is causing your problems you may need to replace the tires. http://www.tirewear.org/steps-on-how-to-fix-tire-cupping/

10

Swapping of tire didn't change anything so I'm clueless?

4,420

Old school method of diagnosis. Place the vehicle on 4 jack stands....at....CURBED WEIGHT. This means the stands must be placed under the lower suspension arms and thus are ...Loaded. CAREFULLY.. take her up through the gears WHAT'S SHAKEN? Swap a shaker with a non shaker. Same side still shakes?..it's not the tire...check suspension and axle joints....bearings. BTW......if you are indicating placing the vehicle I neutral does not change the vibration....I am ruling out motor mounts and other power train issues.

We had this vibration in our Enclave. Put all new tires on it.Had everything under the sun inspected.Never did figure out what it was.Just tried out a new 2018 Camry.Took it out on the highway.Started to get this vibration.It is like it is following us.Sure would love to know what it is.Starting to get a little cocerned about any new car out there.

4,420

To any and all out there. DO YOUR HOMEWORK......before buying any new car. Google NHTSA...recalls...complaints...service bulletins.....investigations. Good luck.

10

toyota is aware of the issue and they have extended the warranty to fix this issue. as I'm driving down the road it will start vibrating until i accelerate or slow down If I maintain the same speed it will hold the vibration for while. take it into the dealer and let them know.

4,420

So....boldham....did you ever resolve the issue with your vehicle?

10

Yes and no I got a good majority of the vibration gone by spending a lot of cash but I had to replace the tires because they were supposedly cupping and then that didn’t work so I had to replace the rims on my car which improved the vibration dramatically but still have a slight very slight vibration that you can feel in steering column also my wheel bearings are going bad and I hear them whining so now I’ll have to do those as well oh boy.

4,420

Wow....very interesting. Thanks for the update. We all learned from your experience. Keep us informed on any new deveopments.

10

Will do just makes me wonder if I could have just replaced rims and been looking ok because the tires were probably half life could have saved me a big buck

4,420

Indeed...i agree with your assesment. When we run into a vibration with no obvious known cause....we get out our Dial Indicator and start checking Runout on tires...rims....brake drums and rotors....drive shafts....just about anything that rotates. We also check the Frequency of the vib which will isolate the area of the vehicle where the vib is coming from. Good luck and keep us updated.