CHECK ENGINE EXPERTISE PLEASE SUGGESTIONS..........

285

Asked by Oct 27, 2015 at 09:05 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I just got this past week a major tune-up, engine degreased, 02 sensor changed, AC compressor, evaporator\dryer and expansion device, serpentine belt and belt tensioner assembly, and new rack and pinion and water cooler line back to rack, distributor cap and wires, all new spark plugs, new spark plug wires, brake booster, brake lines cleaned.... Now I went to start the car and my "check engine" light is on........Need some ideas and help, please. Thanks!

58,315

This probably is not a big issue being they just did service on the car,but i would take it to them just to check and make sure there is nothing wrong,i think it may just be a sensor wire came lose and giving you the light,but be safe,go have them recheck there work.

56,575

This is an OBD I vehicle so your mechanic should know how to flash out the two digit trouble codes using a paper clip (yes, paper clip) at the ALDL connector under the dash. This will tell them where to look first. I agree with T S T, something probably got unplugged during the servicing and was overlooked when they buttoned it back up. HTH. -Jim

7,250

You have managed to "snatch defeat .. from the jaws of victory" I suspect the O2 sensor may be the culprit ...I also suspect that you will be back to that place ...In 1988 ECU was still relatively new and O2's on some cars were much different than today's .. many only had 2 wires instead of todays 4 wire standard ... Question ... why was so much work was needed.?

285

Oh, thank you guys! Tom, the work was needed because my mechanic advised it to be done.....He showed me the old parts when he took them off the car. He's a mobile mechanic so he did this right out of my garage. It needed the tune-up and then the suggestions by the mechanic came. While doing the tune-up the AC compressor went, etc. My car was pretty neglected for a while and sitting for 4 years without running it, so I decided to get her back up and running again... The 02 sensor was new that he just replaced, so you're thinking it could be that? It said it was for my year car -- 88 Corvette when I purchased it...... My mechanic said "don't worry about the check engine light" -- this obviously worries me. He said "since I did all of this stuff, unplugged things, replaced etc., we should RESET the light and see what happens." I said "it's on for a reason." I will tell him about the OBD1 and I have the code list on that and directions on how to use the "paperclip" to get the codes. Thanks again.

285

Oh, and forgot to mention; it's at 64,000 miles too.......

7,250

When the "Check engine light" comes on the computer sets the engine to run at a "rich" setting ... causing the engine to consume more fuel at less power. If it is ignored your catalytic converter may begin to emit that "rotten egg smell" That car sounds sweeeet ..but if someone says ignore a problem .... best to ignore them

56,575

Excellent advice Tom. Cheri, you're absolutely correct! The light is on for a reason. Glad to hear you have the info and know how to get the trouble code(s)! Sounds like you have a super nice car and we want to keep it that way! You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

285

Nope, no egg smell as of yet....... Thank you guys so much. Also, you know my car was sitting for almost 4 years without running it, and then I did all this work on it, then the mechanic revved the engine passed the redline -- like 7 or 8 -- I freaked out! He did it 3 times -- and this was all in park\idle.......... He warmed it up for a couple of minutes before he did it. I was just worried about my head gaskets and everything else -- good idea or no?

285

I don't want to insult him as he said he's got 25 years of experience and say "please don't rev my engine again." What do you guys thing? Thanks again..

285

One more thing I forgot to mention as to why the check engine light came on right after his work... I had a rebuilt rack and pinion put in and he said in order for him to take it out, he had to cut the silver metal pipe. (it's really small pipe shaped as a rectangle) He asked me to order a power steering return hose (steering rack to cooler) he installed that. He kept saying to me that everyone was telling him that the line he cut was a high pressure line and he said "no, it's not they don't know what they're talking about." Also when he changed out the ignition wires the car wouldn't start (I think this can happen all the time) and he said he didn't push one down all the way and the car started back up quickly.. He's giving me a little concern for everything I have mentioned above. I need some assurance that he knows what he's doing and not taking me for a ride.... Thanks.

285

And what do you guys think an honest price is for installing the complete AC system Compressor with clutch New accumulator / receiver drier New expansion device and including the evaporator -- all 3 or 4 parts? He is not a certified mechanic, but he has 25 years of experience...... Thanks to everyone!

56,575

Reving an engine like that is not a good idea under any circumstances! Especially when the car's been sitting for an extended time. One time when I took my '70 Pontiac to motor vehicle inspection they did that. I went charging over to the so-called inspector and asked him, in a not so polite way, if he wanted to pay for a new engine for my car. The car was about 35 years old and had close to 200,000 miles on the original drivetrain. It wasn't a junker by any means but I felt they were trying to get it to fail inspection. Of course it didn't. Honestly, I don't know about this guy. From what you described I wouldn't trust him. Obviously I don't know the man but these things don't sound like the actions of a knowledgeable, experienced mechanic. Even of the shade tree variety. HTH. -Jim

285

Jim and the rest of the guys: I fired him today. I haven't slept in 2 days about his "check engine light" ignore it...... I will now find someone else. Thanks for everything guys! You were awesome.

56,575

You're welcome, Cheri. Glad to help. I think you made the right decision! -Jim

285

I got to tell you guys this... You are going to laugh! My husband who is NOT a mechanic just went out and checked my engine and he saw that a small hose running from my fuel injector was OFF. It was 30 seconds and it was CLEARLY VISIBLE. This just blows my mind. NO WONDER my "check\service engine soon" light was on. Now guess what? He plugged it back in... and no check engine light on......It probably blew off when he was revving it so much.....This makes me happy now.. I am going to sleep tonight!! I did the right thing by releasing this guy....... I'm in search of another mechanic to review everything this guy did as I want to make sure everything he did was done properly....... It's so hard to find someone good.......... Thanks again you guys!

58,315

Good to here Cheri, i figured it was some thing left undone,

285

You were so right.... And how he could have overlooked that is beyond me... It was staring him in the face.. That's when he made the comment about the engine light... He said "ignore it, it's going to drive you crazy for years." That didn't sit right with me..... Have a great day guys! Again, thanks!

7,250

Yep ,,,, sometimes people reveal themselves and are totally unaware they did. I'm not a mechanic but I am an engineer who has done volumes of research on "integrated control systems". One of my pet peeves is when mechanics condemn parts ... then proceed to build you a new car, one piece at a time.