My hybrid battery went out of my 2005 Prius. Is there anyone besides a dealer that can replace it? I love this car it has 218,000 wonderful stress free miles on it.

20

Asked by May 28, 2013 at 10:32 AM

755

I, personally, would not trust anyone but a licensed and certified dealer to work on batteries in an electric vehicle. They take hundreds of hours of courses to be certified to do such jobs. -- It will not be cheap, but you could get another 218,000mi out of your ride.

20

I typically agree with you however the dealer has quoted me 3500.00!!!!!

755

I understand. $3500 is a lot of money. However, you're paying for the expertise, the quality of the workmanship and the guarantee that it will be the right battery for your vehicle. I would imagine that their labor/parts would be warranteed as well. Think about it this way. If you get another 218,000 miles out of the new battery, each mile will cost you $0.016. Just a bit more than a penny a mile. Try to skimp on the cost, and you may end up with a car you have to total.