There's a pipe coming off of the catalytic converter going up to the Carb. I want to get rid of the cat to get sound out of the car but will anything bad come of it if I remove the pipe going to carb?

Andrew Koval

Asked by Nov 14, 2015 at 01:47 PM

Engine is a H.O 305 V8 carburetorated

The pipe off the side of your converter shouldn't be going to carb, it should be going to check vavle attached to air pump and emission systems someway. But I know being a 86 model car you can do away with all the applicable emission systems, including the cats, just plug off any excess holes. More power less noise

Half of the above statement is true. Depending on where you are you may NOT be able to legally remove any emissions equipment. Check with your State's Division of Motor Vehicles before removing any emissions equipment. In New Jersey, where I live, ALL emissions equipment must be installed as it was when the vehicle left the factory. Model years 1968 and newer are covered under Federal Emissions Regulations, 1966 in California. In New Jersey, for example, if you have a '68 Firebird and want to drive it as a regular car, not an antique, it must pass emissions inspection. This inspection may include raising the hood and verifying the emissions equipment is present a hooked up correctly. In fact, as you enter the test area a camera takes a video of the underside of the vehicle to insure that the catalytic converter (1974 and newer models) is present. Some States exempt vehicles 25 or more model years old, but not all! HTH. -Jim