My car just started to gurgle/pop lightly at 55-60 MPH. It idles great, has great throttle response, and great take off. If i push the gas a little bit it goes away. What could this be?

Asked by Oct 05, 2015 at 07:00 PM

1967 GTO 389 bored .040
10 1/2:1 compression, turbo 400 trans, 3400 stall,  3:73 posi
This engine is brand new! New plugs, wires, alternator, water pump, power
steering, fuel pump, filter, lines, and gas tank.  I run 93 octane in it and
theres only one station around me that sells it. the problem started about
10 miles after i filled the tank.  I ran it down to 1/2 a tank and put 10 gallons
of 87 octane with 2 cans of octane boost in it.

19,110

Recheck spark plug gap.

I took everyone out to inspect them when I put the new wires on. They look great. Also put a new coil at the same time. I'm beginning to think I got a bad fuel pump

The pump is maybe 2 months old

19,110

They may look good but if the gap is incorrect it will cause your problem.

Checked gaps as well. I actually did the new wires and coil, all new vacuum lines, cleaned the carb and retimed it. And the problem is exactly the same.

Ordered a heavy duty fuel pump tonight. I don't want to believe that's what it is but makes sense. If they put out 5000 of them and 1 is bad, I'll be the one getting it. Haha!

625

The carb may need to be rebuilt.

I'm putting a new fuel pump in it in a couple hours from now. If that doesn't do it, yes, the carb will be gone through. I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks

Solved! When I removed the second bolt from the fuel pump, it dropped to the ground. The pin and actuator were still sitting in the engine. The housing on the pump broke where the pin that holds the actuator attach to it. Of course my new pump, which was supposed to be today, got hung up in Illinois.