1996 trans am, can not get any sark to the plugs..

Asked by Aug 08, 2014 at 11:25 PM

I have replaced the whole wire harness, replaced the opti spark, what else could it be? I noticed before it stopped running, that when u turn the key on, you hear some type of a vacuum sound under hood on drivers side. ever since I stopped hearing that sound, the car has not had any spark???

108,915

Have you checked all your fuses?

yea, this has been ongoing for a long time.. is the vats system, the air sound I use to hear before?

9,085

now when you said the whole wire harness do you mean the spark plug cables or the cars entire electrical harness? and have you tried taking a plug out and checked to see if it sparks when cranking ? and have you tried a more quality plug before ? and chances are if you heard a vacuum sound before and its not there now its most likely not working any longer. Vacuum pumps tend to slowly die on you and get intermittent when they start to die before just going altogether. look for your main vacuum pump which will obviously be on the drivers side and try replacing it it may fix your problem and while your at it check the vacuum lines for breaks and leaks as this is a likley second culprit.

yes I replaced the whole electrical harness,,, I have tried taking plug out and checking for spark, and there is none...I have quality everything on the motor... thanks for your input...

9,085

I just found something that may help you with your issue. its a video and its fairly long winded but it will give you a full visual in and out and diagnosis for problems with your cars sparking system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFCjaz6zHfc#t=870