74 super beetle won't start

Asked by Aug 12, 2016 at 03:01 AM

I have replaced a bad starter. Now the car
will crank the first time but next I get just a
click. It will continue clicking until I leave it
alone for a few hours then it repeats
problem....any thoughts?

30

Some old model cars u have to sometimes hit the starter with a hammer to get it to start honestly

95,115

Check for battery voltage at the starter and then check the voltage at the crank wire at the starter, next check the big ground strap that connects the body to the engine, if you have any voltage drops on these cables repair or replace the cable. If everything checks good then you got a bum starter. Back on my dune buggy days I always used the largest battery cables I could get through the shields.

Thanks tennis shoes... I have checked volts on everything and replaced ground from battery to car

95,115

That big ground strap from car to engine can be a source of grief even though it looks good it can develope corrosion at the ends especially on the transmission side. Have you had the starter tested? Even though it's new doesn't mean it is good.