Super Beetle won't start, sputters when warmed up

Asked by Apr 24, 2012 at 09:33 AM about the Volkswagen Super Beetle

My super beetle (1974) has been smelling like gas in the cab. The gas smell is worse with ore than half a tank. Is it spilling out?
The last couple of days I have noticed it sputtering after driving it for more than 20 minutes (mostly at lower speeds).
This morning, it wouldn't start! Starter sounds fine (clicking sound like normal) but there is no catch/start from the engine.
I am new to this car and not very mechanically inclined. All details and help are appreciated!

465

Sounds like 2 seperate issues...You have a fuel leak...And what sounds like a dead battery or a bad starter or starter solenoid...

225

For the clicking and not catching it could be weak battery or a bad /ruined starter.If a boost gets you going it'sthe battery. Now that gas smell in the cabin could be leaks or the fume recovery system that is hooked up to the tank by hoses and a charcoal filter.Not sure about the sputtering.

140

Also, the Super Beetle has several small fuel tank cloth covered vent hoses uner the front hood at the top near the wiper motor cover. I recommend you check those and make sure they are there, connected, not broken, etc. That may be a source for fuel odor in the cab.

40

tw separate issues. #1 gas odor issue. my tank was leaking due to rust underneath the mounted tank, also had to repair gas intake sleeve. #2 the sputttering filter clogged. replace. still sputtering, check timing, rotar, vacuum, distrubutor, plugs. if still occuring check carburator screws - check for trash in screw holes. if still occuring measure fuel pressure after fuel pump. should be 3-5 psi. if not evaluate fuel pump and all that goes along with that(rods,seals, etc...) BUT before you do anything goto AIRCOOLED.NET and get volume 1 of the BUGME videos. It will show you how to do all of the above. It even shows you the tools you need and covers alternate versions of beetle/super beetles. this video cost me 30 bucks and it helped me understand everything about tuneups and maintence of my VW. they have more videos for every level of repair(engines, trans, brakes, etc...) just get volume 1. the manual(haynes) manual had pics but still not clear. THIS VIDEO ROCKS !!!