1971 super beetle - won't start

Asked by May 14, 2014 at 03:04 PM about the 1971 Volkswagen Super Beetle

The ignition key was very hard to turn so I sprayed wd40 in and around the key slot, now the key turns on easy and the little lights go on but it won't start nothing happens.

96,865

Still could be a bad ignition switch. Not that hard to replace, could be money well spent just to replace it.

10

WD40 could have probably coated your ignition contacts preventing electricity to pass through. get it cleaned up and try to start again. to get your key turn easily, get some pencil lead and pound on it to powderize and put some in the key slot and try turning it a few times. pencil lead is made of graphite which is very slippery.