1974 Super Beetle start

De-mand Rottet

Asked by Apr 25, 2013 at 03:48 PM about the 1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I have a 1974 Super Beetle with a 1600 cc. It started fine all winter. Earlier in the spring
I tried to get it started. I had to hook it up to a charger/booster. Now I tried to start it
and it just clicks at the voltage regulator,nothing more. I had the starter bench tested
and the battery stress tested, they both test fine. When I turn he ignition switch all I
get is a click from the voltage regulator and nothing more. I've taken everything apart
and cleaned it off i.e cables,wires, connections ,,,
What could be the issue?

Check the small wirre at the starter for voltage when the key is on. That comes from the ignition switch and fires the starter solenoid. You can test the starter i place by jumpering from the large electrical terminal to the small wire terminal. Make sure the gearbox is in neutral or park first. If the engine turns over, your starter, battery and conductors are good.

more than 7 year old battery=kaput....buy another "squatty" volkswagen battery~

perhaps ground to the engine block from the chassis, to the battery has been corrupted~

James Ramond

blocked out by the clutch kill switch! push the clutch in if it has this type of safety switch!

test ignition switch electrical lines to starter, could have high resistance. it happens when the car gets old. take a long wire connect it to your starter solenoid and stick the other end to the positive post of battery. if it fires right away then your start line from ignition switch is bad. or sometimes just another cable to negative ground and battery and another from the ground to the starter. Mine was sluggish during start mode, with the addittional cables solved the problem.

Jaysen Warner

Check out the seat belt safety relay. The ignition, the oil pressure light, the backup lights, the seat belts, and other stuff all go through this box. I've heard of people jumpering the ignition wire from the starter switch to the wire on other side that goes to the starter solenoid. That way, when you turn the key, the juice bypasses the seat belt thing and goes strait to the starter.