1993 Buick LeSabre won't pass smog inspection. What should I check?

Asked by Nov 02, 2015 at 11:10 AM

1993 Buick LeSabre with 60,000 miles.  Want to keep it for vacation house car
but failed smog 2 times.  Don't want to do major valve cover replacement if
there is a work-around that might be cheaper.  Ideas?

When you had the smog test inspection you should have gotten a document that tells you what, precisely, failed. If you did not get that go back to test-station and get it. You are entitled to it --- But what makes you say valve cover(s)?

60,885

A tune up and check the catalytic converter. If the converter is bad you will never pass smog. I had a car that struggled to pass smog for several years and when I finally replaced the converter it passed very easily!