does a 1997 Ford Escort when I put the timing cover back on the battery acted like it was dead and I change the battery in the new battery act like it was dead

Asked by Sep 30, 2015 at 07:08 PM

39,805

When you say the battery acts like it's dead, are you saying that when you turn the key, nothing is happening except a click? If that's the case, have someone hold the key to the ON position like they're starting the car. As they hold the key to ON, you smack the starter with a hammer a few times. If the engine suddenly turns over, you are in need of a new starter.

No, i changed the timeing belt, set it at tdc. Put on the serpintine without the time cover and car started fine. Took the serp off, put time cover on put serp back on and the car was bogged at start and when changed the batt no difference. Im thinking the car sliped time again or maybe a bad ground.

39,805

Sometimes the timing cover bolts are slightly longer than the rest. I made that very same mistake once. I didn't notice that one bolt was longer than the the rest. Well, I ended up putting that long bolt right above the hydraulic tensioner. The bolt actually was long enough to hit the tensioner slide and stop it from hitting the timing chain. It instantly spun the chain off. Another thing to look for is the spacer under your harmonic balancer. I also made the mistake of putting it on backwards. Just a fraction of an inch made all the difference in the world. This was my first live and learn timing chain job on my old Toyota 4X4. Finally got it going. You may not have any of these issues, but just a couple of things to aware of..........

Best Answer