my 95 firebird 4spd auto made a grinding noise when I tried to start, then smoked from beneth the hood, I think electrical. then acted like battery was dead

Asked by Feb 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM about the 1995 Pontiac Firebird Base

ran fine all day went to try to start it and I may of been in N or R, wasn't up to park. tried to start made a meatal of metal, bang/ grind. smoked from under driver side hood. acted like battery was dead after all das lights come on then start to turn off. I don't think the check engine light goes away. which was never on b4.

60,805

Sounds like the starter quit. When you replace it inspect the flywheel for chipped or broken teeth. The starter drive gear to flywheel ring gear clearance should be ,020 inches. HTH. -Jim

165

I had a problem with A/C pump. It got stuck, the belt was grinding and so created smoke and as my battery was not new, one day it was too hard to turn the engine, so couldn't start and all lights went out. But might as well be something different.