I need advice on getting another vehicle.

Asked by Jul 14, 2015 at 01:34 AM

I have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara that is perfect except the engine (2 liter 4cyl) is way to
small to tow a 1994 popup camper that we just bought.  I need something that will tow
the 2300 lb. trailer, seat 5, have decent amount of cargo space to carry coolers and a
medium size dog crate and other camping items and get decent gas mileage, and
since I am retired and on disability, not cost an arm or leg (or both).  What suggestions
do you have that might work?

10

You should look at older, (maybe 1999-2004), Mitsubishi Montero's. They have 6 cyl. engines, & get pretty good mileage, despite being pretty large SUV's, & can easily haul a small-med. size horse trailer, (including horses). I've had two, my 1st was a used 1989, & I drove it, often in 4WD, through rough, hilly terrain, on our cattle or ranch, & it can carry two bales of hay in back! After I drove the 1st one to death, I bought a 99', the same color & everything, (which I hadn't planned on , but it was a great deal). I still drive it a few hundred miles to Lake Tahoe, several times every summer, & it has a huge roof rack, & a sun/moonroof. (I also drive it to the ranch, as well). It still runs great, despite a lot of hard driving, & you can buy one for a really good price, too. Mine were (are) both the "Limited" edition, all power, keyless entry with an alarm, cruise ctr'l, leather seats, & all power. & upgrades. I'm looking for the smaller version, a "Montero Sport", for my 17 year old's 1st car. Good luck, with whatever you buy!

Cool thanks for the info. I will look for one... trying to find anything on dealer sites is impossible. they all seem to either push toward new vehicles or high priced used ones... Thanks again...