I need advice on a 72 Super Beetle for sale.

10

Asked by Jan 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM about the 1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle

I am looking to buy a 1972 Super Beetle from my girlfriends neighbor. It has minor rust spots underneath the paint, the interior needs some duct tape, working sunroof, back speakers and all radio wiring was stolen. The engine was recently rebuilt ground up by owner (running 120 compression per cylinder), replaced brake lines, tires are good, so minor body damage to the back right body panel (apparently fixed with epoxy/resign), shakes/vibrates between 40-45 mph, back bumper is off (owner may have in storage), rubber stripping is old and cracked, but not leaky. Needs some TLC. Has 712,000 original miles on the frame. Will be the first car i have owned. Owner is asking $2500 firm, is it worth it?

99,175

No. It has too many miles. You can not buy parts. $2500 is a lot of money.

5,175

$500 would be closer to the mark, the asking price is way over market value for a rusty beetle with a rusty body, unknown transmission history, weathered seals and a shot interior. For it to be worth $2500 it would probably need more than that in work and spares.

10

Alright, here is a picture of it, the seats are fine, just the roof lining on the inside has some tears in it.

10

That's fair! Take it!

10

Parts are cheap and readily available. The fact the motor has been re-done makes it worth it. The body looks in good condition and sounds like it drives. It vibrates because it's a superbeetle, that's just what they do...because of the McPherson strut design and low weight up front. Add some weight up front and it won't be as bad.