Need sound advice on used 4runner purchase!

Asked by May 13, 2009 at 03:00 PM about the 1995 Toyota 4Runner

I need some advice about a 4runner I'm going to be looking at real soon. You guys with lots of experience with these engines I'm hoping can impart some wise advice.

I'll try to make it short and tell ya everything yee knows...

Tis a 95' 4runner with `180,000 miles on the body.

12,000 miles ago she got a new (factory engine/22RE), clutch, front shocks, tires, radiator (receipts in hand). As far as I'm aware the ride is "stock". Unsure if it has the w56 or w58 tranny though.

The body looks to be in good condition for its age, minor rust in rear, I'm told the interior is in excellent condition.

I know the basics in inspecting a vehicle, ie. compression test, fluid checks, check pressure/gauges/engine diagnostic codes, exhaust/engine running condition etc...

I'm hoping you fella's familiar with this model could give me some good advice on specific things to check or are due to a up and coming failure due to its age/mileage.

I'm not concerned about the cosmetic aspects of the vehicle. With a new clutch recently should I worry about other trans parts condition/need for replacement on the original trans?

Sellers asking $3000 obo. My Budgets $2000. I pretty sure I can get it for that or near 2. Seller seems very decent fella, nothing smells fishy. Was overhauled for son, then son buys new car gives it back to dad, wife buys a new car now he has no use for it.

His loss is my gain!

...I hope

Good deal or am I just asking for big repair bill in the not so distant future?

Any tips things to pick apart so as to give good reason to lower the price?

im gonna check battery while off and then running, see if alternator is getting lame and if the rear leafs are sagging I'll try to lower price that way, any other good things to pick at?

Thanks so in advance for all your time and advice!

5

Toyotas tend to still be great cars with high mileage, especially if this person has had all these things replaced. I haven't heard any complaints yet. I would go for it, sounds like a good deal! Good luck!

25

Sounds like a good deal, the 22's are the most reliable engines, so it should be good for years. Assuming you do the regular check-ups and such, of course. But like you said the main problem with the 2nd Gen. are the alternator going bad and the rear sag. Another thing that you might have to replace is the O2 sensor, I bought a new one, and I'm waiting for it to come in so I can replace it. Also if it has ADD hubs, check the CV boots, most likely they will be torn.

10

I agree with you Toyota is a very good car no doubt about it, I have a 90 4runner as it age it is burning motor oil very fast so watch your oil all the time and maybe you will be ok. right now my problem with my is if I drove for more than 30 minutes if I come to a stop sign it will start very very slow for few seconds before it will pick up real speed and if I park and turn off the engine it will not start again I have to cool it down for at least 3 hours before I could re- start,back door window will not work all the time. will I think 95 id different at the back it lifts the whole back door,no window unlike the older model.

10

My 94 4runner loses power at stop signs about once a month or so. Any ideas on why this happens? I have 96,000 miles, a new cat converter, timing belt and radiator.