Buying a car cash ... but no tag! PLEASE HELP!!!!

Asked by May 02, 2015 at 10:28 AM

Ok so I am buying a car cash this week but I have a couple of problems ...

I have a FL license and will be buying the car in new york (ill be moving back to fl so no
reason to switch to new york license) But I have no tag .... will the dealer ship give me a
temp tag if I buy it there and pay the car cash? will they order a tag for me just like if im
financing it? also what if i buy it from a private seller? how do I get a tag at all? I mostly
need answers about tags ...

Every state is different, a temporary tag or trip permit is only good for the state it is issued in, so if you drive it out of state they could get you for driving an unregistered vehicle in that state, then the next state, etc. Your best bet is to call the DMV where you are and ask them, but as with most states they want money so they will tell you that you have to license it there and then when you move re license it in the state you have moved too. Then there's the fees, safety checks, emissions if they have it, in general it is just another headache.

I know that but what Im asking is when i leave the dealer ship will i have a paper tag on it even if i pay it cash?

If you buy it from a dealer they will have you pay license and title fees plus whatever fees they have and you will get a temp sticker for the window if it does not have any plates on it. Just another way to get more cash out you.