Need help buying a used car

Asked by Jun 02, 2014 at 04:34 PM

I'm a single woman with no experience buying a car. I know that I need to buy a used car
that gets good gas mileage. I'm going to be traveling a lot for my job this summer and
need something dependable. What brands should look for? How many miles should the
car have on it? Ect... (my budget is 5,000)

217,315

Toyota Corolla comes to mind. Cheap, dependable, good gas mileage.

15,825

"Need help buying a used car". You start by saying you have never bought a car before ; do not buy your first one without bringing a very knowledgeable person (or two) with you. It's a big ticket item when you buy it AND CAN BE a bigger ticket item after you own it.

735

There are plenty of used cars you can select from... but I would say that the first thing you need to do is work on your acting skills... it is OK to say on hear that you need help and have never bought a car before... but even if you go in with some people to help you, if you give off a hint that this is your first time and you're not comfortable with things, it will be like throwing chum into the water with sharks circling... best thing you can do is develop a shell, and go in with a little bit of an attitude... Beyond that, as Tom mentioned, the Corolla is a good option as are some used Civics...

15,825

confidence is an asset when buying anything, Ford Escort dam good if well maintained.