I have a 2006 Ford Explorer the back hatch window will pop open when cold out and driving down the road

Asked by Jan 11, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Your lock latch could be freezing and not closing all the way, the hatch lift supports (aka struts/pistons) are keeping it closed at slower speeds, but can't as you pick up speed. Try thoroughly cleaning the locking mechanism with de-icer and/or graphite spray. Check also that the lock lines up with the striker on the body to ensure that it can close properly. Hatches tend to accumulate a lot of moisture so it's easy for things to freeze (and rot) in there.