I found only one o2 sensor on my exhaust pipe, I do not see a second sensor? I have run my hand along the pipe and can only see/find one? What's up with that?

Asked by Jun 08, 2014 at 03:01 PM

Only see one o2 sensor on my 1997 Ford F250 HD, gas truck.

15,925

going back there were no cats, then cats (and if my memory serves) no sensor, then 1 then 2 and some day it will be ??? So 1997 if you only find one and no loose wires and no light on dash. You are in the 1 stage of car history

222,345

There should be 2 on each side. One upstream, one downstream. One before the catalytic conveyor and one after, so 4 total.

60,775

Check with your local Ford Dealer. Bring your vehicle identification number with you. Trucks above a certain weight class have different emissions requirements. You may not need a downstream oxygen sensor. Also, check your emissions decal under the hood. If it mentions California emissions you probably have them. Somewhere just behind the catalytic converter(s). Is your check engine or service engine soon light on? HTH. -Jim

15,925

- I kind of thought that a person crawling around under their car would kind of notice whether there was duel exhaust and therefore said pipes. If he had 2 cats he could have seen what was on the other one and not even asked a question. AND Js08016 thinks there are different set ups and also asked about light on dash.

60,775

Check out the listings on rockauto. They show different O2 sensors for California or federal emissions. Different possibilities for exhaust systems as well. HTH. - Jim

15,925

way to go Js0816 ==there are so many different models,makes,years,and (as you just pointed out) rules.------still say it was a phoney question from a phoney questioner.