I bought my car Elatra2004 GT with 130000 Mi and I don't know if previous owner changed time belt, shall I change it?

Asked by Sep 21, 2012 at 01:16 PM

If it was changed by a dealer, or most reputable independent repair shops, it will be on the service record available from the dealer. They report maintenance work, right down to oil changes. Toyota and many other manufacturers have these records, but I don't know if yours does. probably. If not, a mechanic (any good one that is) will be able to tell by inspection about how old the belt is, and if it needs changing. Please use a dealer or shop that has a good reputation, the "iffy" ones will tell you it needs it whether it does or not.

Thanks for reply and there is no service record by dealer, Is there any way to know from the car it self a mean like sound or other?

I know of no sound or noise whatsoever that would indicate a timing belt needs replacing. If there is no record of it, that does not mean it was never done, though, AT 130,000 miles, if it has not, it needs it for sure. But it's just to expensive to "just do it in case" If you do it yourself, it might be a good idea to do so, but look at it. If it looks old, is frayed, cracked DO IT, if it is an aftermarket belt, say Gates, it was done but who knows when? If it is labeled ACDelco it is either factory or was changed at a dealer (but we have come full circle now, there would be a record of it). It it is so old to not have a readable label , then do it. It takes several hours, but the good news is the belt, parts and paraphernalia needed are not expensive. OR: try to find the previous owner. Its illegal to use a VIN to find a previous owner, only cops are allowed to do that. There are several websites that CLAIM they can give you the past owners, but please please for you sake don't fall for them. The will take your money, you have to put in your credit card, they promise lots of things, but after they get your card number they will give you the run-around, not tell you anything, except make/model/year/options and they are full of shit and want anywhere from $75 (the cheapest I found) up to $200+. and give you nothing

PS I know this because I learned the hard way. a $75 lesson in rip-off websites, I should know better. I even had to get a new credit card so the number that have is not valid because they charged it a month later AGAIN, I called them on phone and after about 40 minutes of endless menus and being put on hold I finally spoke to a human and they would not budge. claimed I signed u[ for a year. The good news is Visa gave me the credit back when I complained to them (Visa that is) they were very cooperative.