My car makes weird noise and doesn't accelerate... I don't know what it is.

Asked by May 21, 2015 at 09:18 PM about the 2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 1.8T

Okay so about two weeks ago My
mechanic did an oil change and
everything seemed fine that day.
After getting out from work that night
I turned on my car , and as I was
making a right turn my cars engine
made this really loud sound as if I
had pressed the gas pedal all the
way down but my car was only going
about 10 mph. I kept pressing the
gas pedal but the car wouldn't move
any faster and the sound of the
engine was just loud. The
tachometer arrow went almost
completely all the way up but my car
wouldn't accelerate beyond 10mph. I
got to the side of the street turned off
my car and then turned it back on,
the car was fine. I've been driving the
car for about a week now, and I only
have that problem when the car has
been off for hours  and if I don't
warm it up for about 8 min. The
mechanic says the car is fine but I'm
not too sure. The car runs good at
high speeds in the freeway and
everything it just has that problem
when I barely turn it on and warm it
up for less than 5 min. Not sure what
it is and not engine light comes on.
Help.

1,205

Is your car automatic or manual? Sounds like a worn clutchorr an automatic that's low on fluid.

It's automatic.

1,205

Is it possible that they drained some transmission fluid out by mistake when they went to drain the engine oil?

Maybe because my car was running fine before the oil change... What a coincidence that that problem occurred the same day the guy did the oil change..

1,205

That's what I'm thinking. I think the transmission fluid should be checked. The Jetta doesn't have a dipstick to check though. It has to be checked electronically by someone with the proper equipment.

Yeah I know... Well I have it checked by Saturday! Thank you so much!!

*I'll

1,205

Good luck. Let me know what happens ok?

Will do!

7,815

ive never heard this happen before but usually this problem can occur like they said with low trans fluid. If you did not take your car to a vw specialist shop the first time i would do so this next time. google map is your friend just type vw or audi in your search bar and should come up with all the local garages

1,205

Deathjam, believe it or not I've seen this several times. Oil change kid in a hurry I guess. Your advice is good of course, but this girl may have unfinished business with the last shop too.

7,815

yep i would be sure to have the bill in hand from the mechanic shop that did the refill of the trans-fluid and the oil change. but have the transmission checked for leaks the most common place of leaks is the front passenger side axle at the cup. The bearings in the dif ware out and then the axel wobbles and lets all the fluid out over time. The trany fluid looks like oil so its hard to tell which is which half the time. 95% bet on the oil change guy drained the trany fluid either on purpose or by mistake.

So he said it's something with the transmission and it's gonna cost about $2,500! TF

Oh yeah and today the check engine light came on and the car totally didn't wanna accelerate anymore. Problem got worse.

7,815

whats the mileage on your car? and what kinda auto shop you taking the car to ?

1,205

Prescilla, did you have the shop that changed your oil check the transmission fluid or did you go to a dealer or VW specialty shop? I'm curious if you have spoken with that shop about the problem immediately following the oil change. What is it that your being told needs repair for the $2500?

About 97,000 miles. My mechanic next door he specializes in vw. He's the one who also sold me the car.

Idk details yet. He doesn't open the shop today. Ima have to wait til tmrw to ask for more details. But yeah, I told him about the oil change, because he didn't do the oil change himself he's the one who usually does it but that day I was in a hurry and needed an oil change and only the other guy was available, I messed up by letting that other guy change it. Ima ask him if he checked the fluid.

7,815

the car at 96,000 is really starting to hit its main stride in maintenance. At 90,000 you need a timing belt change. All the the fluids should be changed regardless if they have not already at this stage, trany fluids and anti freeze is what i mean by that. a basic tune up spark plugs and sensors should be checked. THe older modals had nitoriously bad 3-4 joint connector antifreeze hose. But back to the trany a fluid flush may fix the issue but tell your mechanic friend to check the passenger side axle for play and leaks. as this could be a bad bearing in the dif had that once with my audi but my audi is 4 wheel drive so never made a big issue. Find a mr transmission in your area you may be able to have it fixed cheaper.

I have a 2013 VW Jetta se, I loose acceleration when starting from 0 and sometimes when I'm driving 65 on the highway. The car has 34k miles and is almost out of warrantee. They claim that the car needs an alignment and tires- I'm on my second set by the way- the computer is misrepresenting this for an accident and canceling acceleration. What is your opinion?

7,815

i take it your car has not thrown any codes yet? VW in my experience won't repair something under warranty unless it throws a code or is broken. Lucky for you i have a simalur car and have experianced alot of thotling issues. Tell me in full what exactly happens when you tap the gas peddle. Does the car hit say 3000 rpms then stop and refuse to go any further? has the car been in -20 C wheater or below recently? Can you hear a loose flaping sound when you tap the gas repetedly? And a car should not require 2 sets of tires in less then 35000 km. I do know That my continental summer tires that came brand new from vw when i bought my 2012 jetta have already begone to crack and break down and i literaly have less then 15000 km on them and most tires last 35000km - 65000km depending on the car they are one. And the jetta is a light car.