mercedes benz ML350 2006 remove ignition key and dashboard lights will not go off

30

Asked by Oct 06, 2014 at 09:33 PM about the Mercedes-Benz M-Class

Dashboard lights always stay on, also after I remove ignition key other dashboard warning lights flash every 10 seconds.  It's draining my battery, I start my car every few hours to keep life in battery.  Also after a 2weeks of this...now the door locks are constantly clicking...  Help.   
PS....yes I did have water spill on passenger side a while ago, but I turned on heater to
blast car with heat to dry.
Help.
Thank you.

72,495

Sounds like a bad ground (-) connection. Did you recently replace the radio? If so, check that all the original metal mounting brackets are secured to the new radio. One or more of them could be ground straps. HTH. -Jim

30

Thank you for your response to my question. I did not replace radio or any component for my car. The only thing I can think of is the water spillage as causing electrical problems. How do I personally check the system or grounds for corrosion. I don't have a clue on the 'how to' of any of this. I'm a women who has 'never' endeavored to do my own car mechanics, hmmm now monies are low low low and I need to find a way to fix my Benz myself. Thank you for responding to my plea on how to fix my Benz.

30

PS...I did have someone check my battery level, they said it was at 450. I think my battery may be becoming weaker and weaker. Can this also cause problems?

72,495

Since a spill was involved, first thing to do is check the fuses. One might have blown. Look on the top of your battery. The 450 is referring to cold cranking amps (CCA). The CCA rating will be posted on top of the battery. If your battery is a few years old it will most likely test under the rated capacity. That just means that the battery is aging. However, if it's rated at say 650 CCA and it tests at only 450, it's time for a new battery. My Niece's '05 Impala battery is 4 years old. It's a 6 year battery. It only tested about 80 CCA under the rated capacity. The Chevy Dealer tried selling her a new one. I told her to leave it in for the 2 remaining years unless she started noticing slow cranking. That was about a year ago and she's been fine. HTH. -Jim

30

Thank you Jim, I have removed the covering battery (below passenger seat), I see many fuses, some are tucked away. I haven't been able to pull out the fuses. Is there a special way to remove fuses. Also the fuses which are tucked away.....oh my. The person who checked my battery said, to remove battery to check fuses he would have to remove passenger seat @ 90.00 an hour & '2hrs just to remove seat'. I thought I would figure out how to remove battery myself. This mechanic was a backyard mechanic so he didn't have all the tools. In past I have always brought my car to a Merc.Benz Dealership to have all checkups etc. But for the last year I haven't been able to keep up with it. I really need to figure this problem out, It could be complicated & expensive... but my gut tells me it's something simple, I just need to figure out how to. I'm happy your niece's car is doing fine. She's lucky to have your presence:) PS...my battery is a Benz battery & a couple years old. I have put more than normal usage to battery, by much laptap etc. usage without car turned on.

30

So simply put: Do I need to remove battery, Do I need to remove seat to remove battery, Special Tools? Are there more fuses than what I see around battery, What came first...Low battery caused problems or Problems caused low battery? Thank you:)

72,495

You're welcome. Glad to help. I'd suggest removing the seat if that's where the battery is. Normally you can pull/ replace fuses with a pair of needle nose pliers. There's usually an under hood fuse box as well. It maybe marked with a lightning bolt symbol and/ or a large red cap with a + sign on it. Most likely the lights staying on are what has run down the battery. Not the other way around. To remove the seat you'll probably just need some wrenches and possibly a few sockets. Since it's a Benz expect the bolts to be metric. They'll be 4 bolts to secure the seat to the floor. Two at the front and two at the rear. HTH. Jim

35

you don;t need to remove the seat. run it all the way forward. Tip the back ahead to give you a little more room. the battery will then come out from the rear. It does have a hold down in the bottoM of the battery compartment.