how would you know if your timing chain slipped and needs replaced

Asked by Sep 05, 2014 at 01:21 AM about the Chevrolet C/K 1500

were driving to work in my trk which is a 97 chev with the 5.7 it started to surge like it was missing or not getting enough fuel after about 3 mi it began to loose power and bogg down when i tried to go faster top seed was around 45 after about 20 miles it bogged down and died on a level area i coasted to a side road and stopped had to be towed it cranked but ran rough stalling right away. the mech. change distributor ,spider injector , fuel pump , cam sensor , maf sensor . and now he thinks it jump time it is showing very low compression on the left side of engine right side show good compression it cranks but still runs rough .

Sounds more like a head gasket. If it jumped timing then both sides would be off.

we check plugs and they were fine except 2 & 8 were wet from excess fuel this were corected by replacing the spider injectors with a update MPFI , HE the mech thinks the cam timming is off due to excessive slack in the timming chain which caused the chain to jump a tooth or more on the gear what do you think ??

If the compression is low on one side but fine on the other I don't see how they can equate it the timing chain. Think about it. If half of the engine is showing low compression and the other half is showing good comparison that tells me that there is a leak on that bank.

well i'm going to check with mech and bring that to his attention , you make sense but he says that it's because the weak side is not closing properly allowing the compression to escape from the cylinders. due to the timming being off and slipping , i'm not mech inclined so i know up to this point i 've been taken for a ride but when you're broken down along the hwy in a rural area you don't have much of a choice but to trust one who is running a so call mech shop, afterward you find out he's a scam and know's little or nothing about repairing my trk or any vehicle he had to bring in someone else to take over the job . i'm hoping the new guy knows what he's doing , we will see ! in a couple days

If I was a gambling man, I'd put money on the head gasket. Let me know and good luck.

found out my engine is shot need a replacement , im looking @ a 94 5.7 it's not a vortec will it fit ? and what will i have to do to make it hook up it's a new rebuilt motor never been installed good price and within 25 - 30 miles from my home or should i go for a vortec thats over a 150 mile away and require a deposit or a core .

If you can just find you a good honest mechanic it will be good for you also you will be able to keep your eng. although if you decide to go for a 5.7 it will be a matter of preference. Right not you either have a 4.8 or a 5.3 L which is ok but ask yourself that question, what will be better for you. What are you looking for 5.7L means more HP. My preference of buying someone else eng is zero, unless they offer a 36,000 miles or 3Yrs warranty other than that the decision is entirely yours, happy hunting