open trunk without battery in, manual button not release

Asked by Feb 14, 2010 at 04:16 PM about the Mercedes-Benz CLK-Class

I removed old battery to replace, and since I needed to order the battery, shut the trunk. Got the battery, but now find I can't open the trunk to replace the battery with the manual button on the trunk. How else can I open it? Can I remove the back seats? Can I perform a jump start from the engine compartment? With the battery out, can I jump start using a cigarette lighter outlet device?

1,020

I had same issue, wife left lights on and drained the battery, I also search on line and found nothing useful, every site tell you use the key!, access from the rear seats! well here it is, finally a reply that will get you help! 1- open the front hood 2- on the driver side of the hood in front of the fuse box there is a little box with an X on it, open it, (it has clips on the side of the cover) that's the possitive from the battery, hook up the positive jumper wire to it 3- hook up ground wire anywhere on the frame of the car 4- turn the car on!

350

Were you able to open the trunk. I have the same problem. qdarugar@gmail.com

160

had a 560sl, the shop drilled a little hole behind the license plate and then used a tool to open the trunk

560

hi my battery was flat today so i took it out of the car ,, shut the boot down and broke the key in the boot lock how can i open the boot without a battery on the car now plzz need help to sort this out

370

I have similar problem to jsorto Ive removed battery, shut boot,and key won't open it. looking for the positive from the battery I found the box with an X on in our new CLK but can't find anything in my old 1998 CLK. Anyone know where it would be / what it looks like please

185

you can charge thru the cigarette lighter, not enough to jump start but you should get enough thru there to open the trunk--the ign key would probably have to be in the correct position that powers the cigarete lighter.

790

HELP ok I have the CLK430 convertible 2002: I locked my ONLY set of keys in the trunk and button trunk release never worked even when I had a key. Does anyone know how I can get in the trunk to push the release? Can u remove the backseat and have access in a convertible model? Is there any other way I paid specialty lock guy and 4 hrs later he left w never accessing the trunk ughhh help!

1,040

how to remove back seat to get the trunk open

240

Good people I just did it! 1 take the key off the key ring and out of the smart key. 2 make sure the end of the key is facing up when you put it into the tumbler, 3 turn the key clock wise and push in the lock and it will open! DON'T STOP TRYING IT WILL OPEN!

30

I JUST DID IT ALL YOU DO IS RUN POWER JUST LIKE IF YOU WOULD TO JUMP START IT GET ANOTHER CAR AND HOOK UP THE JUMPER CABLES AND IT SHOULD RUN POWER WITH OUT THE BATTERY AND JUST OPEN THE TRUNK AS YOU WOULD REGULARLY 5 mins to open my car Audi told me to tow it to them I think not

180

i have a 1998 mercedes clk i live in canada and the temp was -30 and my car didnt start so i gave it charge with an other car and it didnt run. so i took the battery out to get it charge and closed the truck the the next day i try to open the truck with the key and it wouldnt open, then i gave it a boots by under the hood by the fuse box and it didnt work ether just the little screen on the dash came on, but the trunk wouldnt open with the smart key or from the inside.it was -16

90

I have a 2000 430S. The trunk is locked. The trunk switch on drivers door will not open it. The metal key (any way you turn/push/insert/ or do it~"WILL NOT WORK.' The trunk is shut and will not release regardless what I have tried, I have lubricated the tumblers with WD-40 and tried every possible means/position..."Does Not Open!" I have removed the rear seat to access trunk "BUT" The Mercedes (IDIOTS) Have the opening 'Sealed Completely with fuel tank which cannot be circumvented in any way. The battery in trunk that operates everything (starter too) is stone dead with an apparent dead cell, preventing the car from taking a charge. I have managed to jump start the car and it runs great~"BUT"~ The Trunk still will not open using every device installed on the car to open the trunk by; metal key/Door trunk switch/Turning the trunk lock (both directions) with metal key. There is no access available to their Idiotic design to open the trunk. I have gone to the Mercedes Dealer here in hopes that they could/would offer some helpful advice to open trunk. I have even paid these Greedy A-holes $311.47 for a key "THAT DOES NOT WORK WITH NO REFUND!" I have seen (witnessed) "DOZENS" of U.S. Citizens Plagued with an Ultra Expensive Car That We Cannot Use!" "IF" I CAN EVER SHED MYSELF OF THIS ALBATROSS~~"I WILL "NEVER~EVER" LOOK AT ANOTHER MERCEDES AGAIN!" "NOW!" That is how I felt Yesterday (and still feel the same way today) "But" I finally Got The Danged Trunk Open (With Absolutely "NO HELP" From Mercedes What-So-Ever!). I took it upon my own to take a hole saw and drill (cut) a 1in. dia hole though the plate behind the car tag. I did not have a clue exactly where to drill but I did anyway and "I GOT LUCKY!" I Drilled exactly in center of bottom tag bolt holes but about 1 inch to the left of center and "LORD BE WITH ME~ The Rod that Opens the Trunk was directly there behind my hole. I took a pair of "Needle Nose" Vice Grip Pliers " and snagged that sap sucker and pushed up on it. "I gasped in shock when the trunk lid finally opened!" The hole has a piece of reflective tape covering/sealing it just in case I ever need to do it again!" "IF" You Live within a 100 miles of the Mississippi Gulf Coast and suffer this same problem, Contact me via this web site~I will come over and OPEN Your Trunk for "FREE" Just to Make DARN SURE THAT MERCEDES DOES NOT GET THE CHANCE TO RIP YOU OFF WITH THEIR GREEDY CHARGES! EVERY TIME I PASS MERCEDES NOW~"I FLIP THEM OFF!" "DOESN'T HURT THEM BUT I DO FEEL BETTER!" "IF ANYONE WANTS TO JOIN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT TO SUE THESE GREEDY S.O.B.'s ~ "I AM READY!"

70

I just had that problom with my parents car because the battery had no charge. My dad took out the battery and then my mom closed the trunk. What we did was get the little weird looking key from the remote contral to start the car put the weird key in in the key thing on the back of the car and turn and push the botton it might not work the first time

40

I have c200 1998 ... where I can find the box with X ...... or can I remove the seat ...... I have the same problem

30

Greedstomper, Any chance that you can post a Picture of where you drilled hole in Boot Lid. Presume, you mean behind number plate?

30

This is the way to open the trunk without a battery. I just did it! 1) take the key off the key ring and out of the smart key. 2) make sure the end of the key is facing up when you put it into the tumbler, 3) turn the key clock wise and push in the lock and it will open! DON'T STOP TRYING IT WILL OPEN!

Thanks GREEDSTOMPER Will try

What did call the black box is in the back seat and where can get one pls help

it worked, looked at manuel first, it shows trunk lock and shows that if u turn key from 12 to 10 oclock and back to 12 then push in trunk will open. simple as that it turns out.