How is alternator/steering pump belt tightened on 92 Stealth

240

Asked by Jan 03, 2014 at 11:47 AM about the Dodge Stealth

ref CG 140 102 145 952
Daniel,   sound bite not available, BUT...
1. Oil pressure OK, so it is not a main.
2. I don’ think it is a rod either, I have heard a rod knock years ago. Noise is apparent at both ends of the engine.
3. Steering works ok, and no water leak at water pump. I noticed the noise AFTER the car overheated due to loss of coolant. I may have a leaky heater core, as I seem to loose coolant, but can not find any liquid. (occasional steam on windshield)
4. I am going to remove the alternator/steering pump belt, and start engine to see if noise continues.  If it does, I suspect water pump, as it is driven by timing belt. (Thanks to you)   If not, then I’ll change power steer pump.
All alternatives are a challenge considering space and my age (74).  It appears to me that alternator belt is removed by loosening bolts on alternator and then pivoting the alternator to loosen the belt. The belt idler does not appear to rotate to loosen belt. Getting under the car is difficult. Changing water pump seems more difficult than changing steering pump.

I appreciate any further comments you may have on the noise, on changing either pump, and alternator belt. (Belt needs replacing anyway)

Thank you very much....Ray Webber

From: CarGurus
Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 5:34 PM
To: rebber3@hotmail.com
Subject: Daniel Foster answered your question.

118,005

The lowest idler pully ( alternator / ac belt) is adjustable. Loosen the main bolt that goes tru it then from the top look behind the pully. You will see a 12 or 10 mm bolt. Use long extention and turn it counter clockwise to loosen the belt. The power steering belt is loosened by loosening the bolts in the idler pulley bracket. Both bolts. Then push pulley down to loosen. To tighten it back place 1/2 inch ratchet in the slot on the idler bracket. Pull up on ratchet when belt gets tight tighten the bolts going thru the bracket. Must hold pressure on ratchet till you get the first bolt tight.

Best Answer Mark helpful
240

THANK YOU your service is GREAT Ray Webber