what drives water pump on 92 stealth

230

Asked by Jan 01, 2014 at 10:19 AM about the 1992 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr STD Hatchback

engine noise sounds like water or power steering pump, water pump does not show leakage. power steering works fine

w

113,265

3 L dohc? Timing belt driven.

Best Answer Mark helpful
6,185

can we get an audio/video clip of the sound?

230

ref CG140102145952 Daniel, sound bite not available, BUT... 1. Oil pressure OK, so it is not a main. 2. I don’ think it is a rod either, I have heard a rod knock years ago. Noise is apparent at both ends of the engine. 3. Steering works ok, and no water leak at water pump. I noticed the noise AFTER the car overheated due to loss of coolant. I may have a leaky heater core, as I seem to loose coolant, but can not find any liquid. (occasional steam on windshield) 4. I am going to remove the alternator/steering pump belt, and start engine to see if noise continues. If it does, I suspect water pump, as it is driven by timing belt. (Thanks to you) If not, then I’ll change power steer pump. All alternatives are a challenge considering space and my age (74). It appears to me that alternator belt is removed by loosening bolts on alternator and then pivoting the alternator to loosen the belt. The belt idler does not appear to rotate to loosen belt. Getting under the car is difficult. Changing water pump seems more difficult than changing steering pump. I appreciate any further comments you may have on the noise, on changing either pump, and alternator belt. (Belt needs replacing anyway) Thank you very much....Ray Webber From: CarGurus Sent: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 5:34 PM To: rebber3@hotmail.com Subject: Daniel Foster answered your question. Hello rebber3,

113,265

The lowest idler pully ( alternator / ac belt) is adjustable. Loosen the main bolt that goes tru it then from the top look behind the pully. You will see a 12 or 10 mm bolt. Use long extention and turn it counter clockwise to loosen the belt. Hope this helps