Mice in my car!!!!!

45

Asked by Apr 25, 2011 at 07:09 PM about the Dodge Daytona

I am having a TIME keeping mice from getting into my car, getting into the fan motor of my heater/ac, and trying to build nests under the hood. I am setting mice bait, traps, everything I can think of to stop them. Any suggestions?

45

put moth balls under and around the car. If you aren't going to drive it for a while, put some on the engine and other areas under the hood. (Remove them before driving off again.) And set some mouse traps--use a small amount of bread and some peanut butter to make the bread stick to the trap. Good luck.

set out bowles of corn soked in antifreze,that will get them,moth balls wont affect mice,put a couple of bowles in floor board,trunk under hood.around outside of car.

45

Thanks, Jess. I tried the moth balls, not sure if they worked but the sure "perfumed" the garage! I also had heard that sprinkling peppermint oil inside the car would keep them away. It smelled great but didn't stop them from getting in through the fire wall, into the ac/heater fan motor housing. Today we bought a package of 3 of those electronic rodent repellents that we plugged in to different corners of the garage. I'm hoping this will keep them from coming in, period. Problem is, this garage is very old and the door doesn't close right. Anything can crawl under it and get in, so we don't bother closing it any more. We'll see if the sonic repellents work and I'll post a report here if they seem like they are. Thanks again, I appreciate your response!

45

That sounds like a good idea, except our garage doesn't close well, and other animals can get in. I wouldn't want to kill one of the neighbor's cats accidentally. I encourage the neighborhood cats to come into the garage, anyway, maybe they can catch the mice. I'm hoping these sonic repellents work that we bought today. Mice can destroy wiring and so much more. I didn't restore this car to have it chewed up by little rodents! Thanks for your answer, papa. It was appreciated!

485

Try installing a cat.

...but birds will drink the antifreeze and die...as well~

45

Well, not to worry. Since I posted this about mice getting into my 1990 Dodge Daytona, we have moved to Largo, Fl. and no more mice are getting into my car. Haven't had one single mouse incident since we arrived but it's not parked in an old garage and there's really no winter here to speak of...(Yaaaa!). I still have one D-Con bait trap in the rear floorboard just in case but it hasn't been touched in two years. So...one option is moving to a warmer climate!!! (And my "Daisy Daytona" loves the fact there's no salt on the road to ruin her beautiful makeover now, too!)

YAY~!!