If my car starts to over heat and my heat stops working and starts to blow cold air does this mean my thermostat is gone?

355

Asked by Nov 14, 2013 at 03:53 PM about the Chevrolet Lumina

If my car starts to over heat and my heat stops working and starts to blow cold air does this mean my thermostat is gone?  I'm a 24 year old Female so that explains it all..I NEED HELP Lol

222,185

Probably not the thermostat, but sounds like your coolant level is low or you have air in the coolant system or both. You probably have a coolant leak, so get it checked out before you overheat and damage the engine.

355

I do have a leak but not sure where its coming from :/ .....I put stop leak in it hoping that will help..somebody just told me if the air is blowing cold it was my thermostat so I wanted to check.. ugh

355

when I put coolant or water into the reservoir sometimes it stays and never cycles threw..and sometimes it does..i don't know whats going on...but when I look under the car I can see the water or coolant dripping.

You've got to invest in a pressure tester....this will make with the geyser show and all leaks will be immediately obvious~

355

Okay thanks soooo much..will let yall know how it goes...fingers crossed!

222,185

You have to find the source of the leak, either the radiator, a hose or water pump. A pressure test will help find it quickly. Your coolant reservoir should always stay at the same level.

355

Okay...sometimes it goes down and ill put it back to the line..and sometimes it dosent move at all so I have to keep water in my radiator like everyday!

355

when I stop I hear the water boiling! but im getting off work and headed to school..I'll check back when I can get back to my computer..thanks for the info..wish it was that easy to fix it!

Look at the "weep hole" on the waterpump...is supposed to leak when it's time for NEW pump~

355

okay..not sure what that is but ill look it up for pictures...but yea I think its my waterpump...is that expensive?

right behind the belts and pulleys~ could be a five hour job...depending on how much labor it takes to get to this...the condition of the timing case (sealing surfaces) plus the cost of coolant~ around $350 with parts and labor 1993 Sunday mechanic price~

222,185

Usually around a $400 repair.

355

:( ...dang that's not pretty..but could be worse...thanks for all your help if I have more questions I'll be back.!

JacklynVictoria...are you a Mommy?....you've solved many demanding puzzles already...are you sure you could not do this yourself?~

OKAY...sad, but THIS may have happened to YOURS based on what you've been sayin'~

Best Answer
355

Nope not a Mommy....and I'm sure I could if I looked everything up and followed the steps..I'm the type of person that would rather do things myself before I ask anybody..I know a little about a lot ..you seem to learn things when you've had cars that mess up lol

355

Wow....yes it is very sad..

355

so stop leak will do no good huh?

222,185

Stop leak is only temporary for small leaks. It only makes things worse, get it fixed right.

355

yea because this is my 2nd time putting stop leak in....the first time I put it in after a while it started over heating again so one day while it was hot I unscrewed a bolt on the top to relive the pressure and where I did that u can see where the stop leak was coming out and its a brown color where the screw is and ran down it a little....I wish it was just the thermostat.. ugh

ooooooo~

355

oh another thing...my break lights stopped working..i bought bulbs and it still doesn't work...so that means its either electrical or it could be a fuse too right?

now with "Rhizex" particles...one of those?

355

yea

https://www.google.com/#q=Chevy+Lumina+brake+light+switch

355

ooooo okay

there were two choices, but you did not say which year you have? did yo u| |~~

355

o yea its a 96 I do believe

355

It's a mess...I got to get it fixed I got school and work both 5 days a week..smh

PLEASE...buy a Toyota...any year....any model...they Do not breakdown...like this~

you know you are probably suffering from an Under voltage condition....because the amount of corrosion at the main ground connection 1/0 black battery cable to the CHASSIS...has an unmistakable layer of corrosion created from multiple 300 or more AMPS actually welding the connection leaving behind a charred bit of the other...reducing voltage and grounding potential~ fix it by removing the bolt off the fat-ole battery connection to ground...wirebrush the real estate where the lug bolts to....and wirebrush the lug too...this way the sharing of the 300 cold cranking amps requirement and the delicate .750 mA requirement of your computer will not interfere and will assure solid 12 volt GROUND to the tail lights....in summation...break out the coarse wirebrush and clean the main ground connection......and o yah, get a NEW battery if yours is older than five years old (as indicated by the 'knock off' label on the top of the battery indicating the month and year of it's first charge~

355

okay thanks..thats ALOT lol..but yea I actually JUST got a new battery...and yea I think I may just be back in the market soon...I really like Hyundai cars I been selling them and the warranties are GREAT and safe...

9,525

Back to the water pump. This is a 96 so it should have the 3100 v-6. The water pump is very easy to change and with the correct tools and a drain pan can be done anywhere. There is no clearance between the pump and the pully so it is hard to check the weep hole, you can shut the car off after it starts leaking and see if any fluid is in behind the pully with a light.. I believe the last new pump that I bought for these engines was under $50.00 bucks.

355

o ok that's not too bad....man its so much that could be wrong

9,525

Yup. The fun of buying and driving a used vehicle that you have no idea what someone else has done to it. The water pump is a good PM item to change. But the heating up and the loss of heat in the cab makes me lean towards a blockage or multiple blockages in the coolant system, the damaged pump impellor above is extreme but the weep hole is the most likely spot of your coolant leak. The blockage could be the stop leak cloging up or other debris in the system you never know in a used car. You can keep limping the car or ditch it. If you do not have the means to check flush your coolant system and test your own components I can bet that the shop you take it to will hose you.

355

ok thanks yea I'm going to get it looked at at my job I work for a car dealership and we have a shop here...sooooo hopefully I'll know what's going on soon.!

Hi every one I do have same type of problem . My radiator water making bubbles and some time it throws water out because of heating . Or some time its just go into radiator deep and I just filling it with water. This is happeing with me for the first time . Any one plz help

I have lumina 2006 ltz

Is my engine still ok I have checked oil every thing is ok