Has it ever been figured out what is wrong with Chevy Cobalts hard shifting after a ding sound and Power Steering display on dash?

Asked by Jan 29, 2015 at 04:54 PM about the Chevrolet Cobalt

For about 4 years, I've had problems with my '06 Cobalt.  I've taken it in to several
dealers and shops and they've never been able to figure it out.  I'll be driving and I'll
hear a ding ding sound, my dash will display power steering, although rarely will I lose
my power steering.  I think it's displaying that but is unrelated, but I don't know.  The
main stuff it does, though, is it will make my transmission shift very hard and jerky
whether accelerating or decelerating.  Often times if will stall out on me when
decelerating or coming to a stop.  Occasionally, when this happens, it will entirely lose
power and the speedometer will jump around. Sometimes it will come on and last for
several days, then go away on its own.  Normally it won't cause the check engine light
to come on, but about twice a year it does.  I've had all of the recalls done.  I've had
the power steering motor done twice since it kept saying power steering on the dash.  
I've had 2 or 3 new transmission control modules installed and reprogrammed at the
dealership.  I've taken it into the shop and they've never been able to fix it.  The
problem goes away for a little while, they think they fixed it and then it continues to
come back.  I've done a slew of research online and have never been able to find out
what it could be; as everything suggested, I've already done.  Very frustrating and
expensive.  Please help. Thanks.

143,385

http://www.chevroletproblems.com/tsbs/Cobalt/2006/ ..TSB technical Service Bulletin Description: GM: THERE ARE MULTIPLE WARNING LIGHTS ON. THERE IS HARSH SHIFTING, HARD STEERING, AND NO START. THERE MAY BE MULTIPLE TROUBLE CODES STORED. *RM TSB Reference #PIC-5441

143,385

Go to that, http://www.chevroletproblems.com/tsbs/Cobalt/2006/ for much more

143,385

NHTSA Reference #10022958 TSB Reference #070232007 Description: DIAGNOSTIC TIPS FOR POWER STEERING INOPERATIVE/STEERING WHEEL HARD TO TURN, POWER STEERING MESSAGE DISPLAYED ON DIC, DTC'S C0176, C0176, C0475, C0476, C0550, U2105, U2107 SET. *NJ UPDATED 2/17/10. *PE UPDATED 3

Thanks for your prompt response, however I went to the website and clicked on the link that said: Repair Information for NHTSA #10038727 and it takes me to carcomplaints.com to buy a repair manual.

143,385

Oh, Okay, sorry I didn't know it would do that. Just pointing out the TSB's in case you didn't know about them

3,505

This is a bit of a long shot, but have the battery tested, or just replace it if it is about 5 years old or older. My '06 Cobalt started doing weird electrical things. I knew the battery was getting weak, but didn't replace it for a while because it still started fine, even in the cold weather. Finally I put a new one in and lo and behold the weirdness stopped. Your problems sound more serious than mine ever were, but its worth checking. Modern electrical systems are extremely sensitive and need to be kept in top condition if everything is to function properly. Good luck.

Thank you for your help FordNut. If I try to take my car into the shop yet again, I'll see if they have access to those TSB's to see what's going on. I'm wondering if a TSB wasn't created for it yet, a couple of years ago when I was trying to figure things out. And thank you Munron, too. I read about the battery needing to be at an optimal charge, too. I wrote it down as one of the 1st things to try when I decide to invest more time/money into figuring out how to fix this craziness. That sure would be a great thing if it did the trick. Thanks again you guys. :) Take care. Thanks for taking the time to try to help, too.

100

check fuse 25 and replace it with a 30amp make sure the pocket is very vlean before putting in the new one also touch all wires connected with the bcm for frayed or loose connections

30

There's a recall for the Power Steering problem. I had the same problem and the module that runs the power steering had to be replaced.

I had the power steering recall done ASAP years ago when I heard about it. I still had the problem so I took it back to the dealership and they did it yet again. Still had the problem. After that, they said, it must be something different going on with it then. I'm glad it fixed your problem though. :)

185

time to sell, don't keep dumping money in to a car that old.

40

We had exact same problem with our '06 cobalt. We replaced the battery and it seemed to fix it for a few days. Then my husband added a ground wire out of sheer curiosity and BOOM problem solved. Apparently it wasn't grounded correctly.

Best Answer

I replaced the battery about a month ago. Several days later, the problem showed up again. :( I'm not certain how to add a ground wire, but I'm definitely going to look into that. That would be quite thrilling if it fixed it FINALLY! Thank you for the hope!

40

I found a YouTube video of someone else who did this. Here's the link. Hopefully this works for you, too! https://youtu.be/EzQZbGp14ro