why not make a rear engined CRX

15

Asked by Dec 16, 2008 at 09:56 PM about the Honda Civic CRX

Does a mid engined Honda CRX styled car with 9000 Rpm sound like to much to ask for? It could get GM out of the whole if they sold one. Cheap quick sold

7,905

mid engine does not equal cheap... It complicates the manufacturing process... I believe they did release a mid-engine version of the Opel GT or at least they talked about it. mid engine has few draw back other than cost though. Apparently VW and Porsche were both looking at making a lightweight mid-engine... Rumored return of the 356 or 914, but all hype of that died with the LA auto show where it was expected to be released, and I think the economy will halt development on a risky platform... After all the 914 was suppose to be a cheap mid engine and near the end of its run, it cost nearly what a 911 cost (I'm not even talking about the 914-6 or the 914gt's) And products alone won't fix GM the union will have to take the hit. I'm not sure about fulltime workers but I know summer fill ins get payed more than their honda equals... With the cuts scheduled they just need to wait for the changes to take effect... They still own a massive market share and ridiculous holdings in other companies... Too many assets to die or change easy.

2,110

GM tried that already in the 1980's it was called the Pontiac FIERO! It sucked the first year or so, poor build quality, recalls and NO POWER! By the time GM got it right, no one wanted them anymore. And I agree, GM has major union problems that are putting them in the poor house. Also, I do like GM cars; but, due to expense, the better buys are elsewhere. Which explains their stockpile of unsold vehicles. This happened in the early 1980's this is nothing new. I doubt if Honda will venture into such waters. The CRX is and was a cult classic; Honda got cute and replaced it with the Del Sol...we all know what happened to that vehicle. If you want rear wheel drive and performance from Honda, you'll never go wrong with an S2K!!