Do I have a coded key ignition switch on my TC

30

Asked by Aug 10, 2013 at 03:54 AM about the Lincoln Town Car

I have a 1996 Lincoln TC. I want to change out the switch key, & all the door & trunk
locks  Is the switch key coded or a pass key. Dealer wants 10000 to do. Please help. I
would really like to start learning how to take care of my own vehicle but don't know
where to start. Please help

237,735

Switching all the locks out for another one will be expensive. What is wrong with the current one? You might want to call or check around at some local locksmiths. They can re-key all the doors and locks and program your keys for much cheaper.

According to: http://locksmithcharley.com/transponder/ford.shtml ..the first year the Lincoln Town Car had a transponder key is 1998

Best Answer
30

Hubby took off with keys & bank accounts, good enough reason, right. I just wish I knew how to do it myself. Thanks

30

One of the dealers called it a pass key. Can you explain what that means. Thanks

Not sure what the dealer means by 'pass key', unless he/she thinks the car has a transponder key, which it does not. What I do know is that salespeople very often simply do not know what they are talking about, especially on older cars but like too make you think they do and will give you an answer be it right or wrong, just to avoid saying "I don't know" and service writers are not not technicians or mechanics but promoted parts counter clerks. What you are wanting to do is understandable, with that happening but is not a do it yourself kind of project. One good way to tell is if it is a simple cut metal key with a square metal head, the trunk is round head, it is just that, a cut key, but if it has a large plastic/rubber head it will have a transponder chip inside with the code to ''communicate" with the ECU, but plain square metal head has no chip.

30

Thank you. My car has a plain metal ket that works the ignition that says Valet & the other keys have the rubber. One has a center with the Lincoln logo. Trying to get a picture to post.

30

I hope these pictures post. Just learning.

30

This is the one I use all the time

30

I just checked & the valet key only operates the ignition. I appreciate all the info you can & have furnished. I think I will take your advice & contact a locksmith.

If the car had a coded key, or transponder key, the plain valet key would not work. Would not start the car. That rubber/plastic on that key is only to tell them apart....this is my Toyota key, with transponder chip... see the difference? I took a picture with my phone and emailed it to myself just now. You owe me 10¢ for a picture message that Verizon charges. To have the chip there would be no metal showing in the head, And remember it was Tom that thought of the locksmith, I just kinda picked up where he left off, I had a Town Car so I jumped in here. (You do know I am just kidding, being silly about the 10¢, OK? Lame joke)

30

I am so grateful for the information provided here. I am not 100 % certain he has a key but this is my only transportation & I really like my car. I truly am willing to pay the dime but only Jesus & Santa Claus know where you live. Thanks Gentlemen, until you're paid better.

We will get what's coming to us. One way or another....☺☺☹☹