95 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L starting troubles.

5

Asked by May 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM about the Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

I have a 95 Cutlass Supreme with a 3.4L engine. Having trouble trying to figure out why the engine will not start. The engine has spark and there appears to be good fuel pressure, but the two do not seem to be coming together. I pulled the front spark plugs out to see if I could see if the injectors were working, but really couldn't tell if the fuel was being injected or not. It acts like the timing is off, but when I check the belt, it is very tight. I tried to check the timing marks, but didn't see any. Any suggestions?

135

Sorry.. too tell you the truth you need to see a mechanic.

70

try ur ignition or ignition switch.it sounds electrical.I would take it to a professional if ur not sure.

12,805

How much fuel pressure did you have? Were the plugs wet from fuel or dry? Did this problem happen all at once or over time?

5

I can't see that it is the ignition switch since the car turns over fine and the car stalled out when I was dirving it. As for fuel pressure it is about 45lbs. When I pulled the plugs out, they looked like they were still dry. This happened all at once. I was at a light.. started down the road and then it just stalled out. I tried starting it with starting fluid, but that didn't do anything either. But this engine design doesn't lend well to using starting fluid.

12,805

From here I would figure a way to turn it over and spray starting fluid into intake. Make sure to use short bursts and only spray while engine is turning over. If it fires you know you have a fuel delivery issue.

5

I have thought about that, but with the engine design, it will not run at all with the air tube off because of the map sensor location. Even when the engine was running without any problems, as soon as I disconnect the air tube, the engine would stall out.

12,805

yeah my S10 is that way to. What I did on my S10 was put a hole in the plastic on top of the throttle body. Then put a plug in it. Then when I need to I can remove 3/8 inch plug and have access.

5

may have to try that