To buy or not to Buy Porsche Cayenne

20

Asked by Apr 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM about the Porsche Cayenne

Hello,
Looking for some hard fact answers! Should I buy a used Porsche Cayenne? I love the
way look and drive, but am I just going to be wasting my cash. I can't afford new but wiling
to spend 18 grand. I have never owned a Porsche before. Any feedback on what year to
look at and how many miles are too much.

14,075

Well, 2013 was the best year according to Consumers Reports, published in their latest 2015 Annual Auto Issue. I advise you to pick one up. In as much as the price of these cars range from $61k to 113k, I would definitely think that $18,000 is a great price if you can find one in good condition. Used cars are all about condition and how the car was maintained when the first person purchased the car. If the initial break in period was neglected or it was just abused, you're in for a rough ride and buying someone else's problems. Aside from lease returns, you've got to ask them and yourself why is someone turning around this car. Had you considered a Subaru Outback, you would get better mileage and probably find one more easily since it's not in such a high price range. By the way, the report says that the controls are confusing and the least desirable feature of the Cayenne. I don't personally know what they're talking about but it's worth checking out if you're serious about purchasing the car. If it's that confusing, then others may find it so when you go to sell the car later. That would not be good.

33,465

All I can give for advice is you better be one good mechanic! Every time that thing goes to the shop, you will be paying top dollar for parts and service. That's why only people with money drive those things. Can you afford a $1200 dollar bill on top of all your other bills? That could be how much it will cost you for the first break down. Have you ever noticed that new, they go for 60K and up, but when people go to sell them, they practically give them away compared to what they paid? Just tires alone will run you $1200 plus. When they begin to be a money pit, people get rid of them.

20

Great feedback guys thank you. I do notice that they sell for very high new and once on the used lot they do drop in price! You may be correct that only people with money to burn should buy this car:(

14,075

I agree with the last post despite the fact that Consumers Reports liked the 2013 year. I know it will cost more money to maintain and keep than the Subaru Outback I suggested as an alternative. Plus, you're not going to find one for $18,000 unless it's a salvage vehicle. I just discovered that even the lowest priced model in 2013 with 80,000 miles in fair condition has a Kelley Blue Book price of $34,000! Before I spent that kind of money, I'd go out and get a brand new fully equipped Outback with all the bells and whistles. By the way, Asian cars generally age better than European cars. You should seriously check them out. I don't know what you're trying to achieve, but, it's better to feel good than look good. You could have two brand new Outbacks for the price of one Cayenne. Do you really need that Porsche nameplate that bad? Years ago, I knew someone with a MBZ Roadster. It was a fancy car, but, every time he took it to the dealership, they would charge exorbitant prices for everything. He finally dumped the car. If you don't believe that Asian cars are better than German cars, look at the general profile of cars across the board and contrast that to cars from Japan. You'll see I'm right.

14,075

Steven, you're welcome, that's what this forum is all about, sharing information. Hey, go out and test drive an Outback. You're going to be very impressed with this car. I have the Four which does not feel at all like any domestic Four cylinder you're used to, but, if you want a rocket, try the Six. Just depends on what your budget and fuel economy needs are.

20

what is your thought on a touareg

14,075

Steven, I had two VW's both of them purchased new 1970 and 1978 that blew up costing me a lot of money. I had a 1995 Honda Accord for 19 years, also purchased new and sold it last year excellent condition with all service records for $3,000. I take care of my cars like an airplane. If something fails, I fix it, immediately. Don't want to be stranded, ever. I've never owned a Tiguan, but, a friend of mine has and tells me that older models are riddled with electrical problems. By the way, electrical problems on cars are the most difficult to solve. And, the 2009-2011 models are on Consumers Reports models to avoid list. Is any car perfect, hell no! There's even some Subaru Outback on the avoid list like the Outbacks from 2005 to 2008. I guess it's partly luck and your capacity for dealing with problems and all cars have them. All I can tell you is my experience with my Asian cars has been much better than domestic and European cars. Before my 95 Honda I had an 80 Honda Accord and it was also a great car. From my friend's perspective, the Touareg is just a cheap version of the Cayenne. And, in Consumers they liked the Cayenne better for 12-14 with 13 being the best year. Again, you're not going to find a late model in the 18K price range. I did see on Car Gurus some Cayenne's go for that price for a 2004 or earlier model. Stay away, it's a money pit. Now, how about test driving the Outback ? Or look at the Toyota Venza? These are pretty nice cars. Generally, if you look at all of the German brands or even look at Volvo, you're going to be paying more. By the way, the Subaru's feature the "boxer engines"... these are more unique than other cars What's your current car?

20

Mercedes C class. It has been great. In the 7 years that I have owned the car. Only 1 major fix. That's it..

14,075

OK, I've heard they're better than the GL, M and S class cars. So, you're looking for a more utility vehicle now? Are you familiar with the "Boxer" engines, flat 4 and flat 6 engines?

14,075

What was that major fix?

14,075

Steven, are you ready to consider an Asian car? Read this link, http://jalopnik.com/5966299/40-years-of-not-getting-stuck-a-subaru- awd-history/

20

Yes..:) Thanks for giving the hard facts

14,075

You're welcome, please mark my last answer as helpful and good luck to you.

Best Answer
14,075

Thank you Steven, hope you're shopping for a great deal goes well.

14,075

Steven, I found this for you, great information on Subaru. Prepare to be impressed. Whether you purchase new or not, helpful. http://www.subaru-global.com/tec_awd.html

20

thanks very much. I believe Subaru is coming out with a 7 seater.

14,075

Yes, here's the 411 on that replacement. http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/subaru-tribeca-replacement-is-coming-but-buyers-shouldnt-hold-their-breath.html and http://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-subaru-7-seat-suv-may-be-revealed-tokyo-motor-show-2015 The Tribecca didn't sell well for two reasons; 1. the third row was not comfortable for adults, and 2. it made it difficult to carry gear with only 8.3 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row. So, it didn't serve any purpose really well. Hopefully, the replacement will be better. Do you need a vehicle to carry 7 people?

155

Do not buy a cayenne unless coolant issue has been addressed and cardian shaft has been replaced I had to replace mine and it cost as much as a used honda very expensive to maintain

10

How the hell did a Subaru Outback become part of this conversation.... Not even close to an apples to apples conversation..

34,415

If the price is too low beware as in "if it is too good to be true". Mark's answer to everything is "Subaru".